Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

leaky window well

Hello all! I have an issue with a basement window well. It's filling up with runoff water from underneath a concrete patio and ends up filling the well and eventually drains into the basement. The patio is sloping away from the house and the water dosen't seem to be getting in to the well above ground. Any advice on how to get the ground water to drain from the window well. I'm re-doing the evestroughs to drain the water to the other side of the house but this won't help in the summer when it rains. Thanks.
mleriger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

leaky window well

A saturated ground will fill a window well. If the grading is correct and the leaders are long enough to get the runoff away from the house, install a pump to expel the water from the well.
Flotec has come out with a utility pump that senses water. It will turn on and off as water enters the well. It will keep the water down to 1/4"
Last week I put 2 of these is customer's window wells.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
mleriger (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #3

leaky window well

Thanks for the advice Ron. I have a temporary sump pump in there right now but I'm hoping to get it to drain properly without mechanical help. Any advice in regards to digging in some kind of drainage system would be very much appriciated. I am thinking of trying a couple of things 1) digging a trench on a downward slop away from the window and putting a perforated pipe in the ground 2) drilling down below and away from the foundation and putting in a similar pipe. I'm not sure if the house even has weeping tile as it was built in the 70's so I don't really want to try to expose and connect to it if it if may not even be there.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #4

leaky window well

To pump the water could be just displacing the problem. The proper way drain window wells is to dig and connect a drainage tube to the weeping system below it, then backfill. While you're there, check the foundations wall for leaks and waterproof it. And scope the weeping too if you really care.

If you already have a drain, it's probably blocked.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #5

leaky window well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleriger View Post
Thanks for the advice Ron. I have a temporary sump pump in there right now but I'm hoping to get it to drain properly without mechanical help. Any advice in regards to digging in some kind of drainage system would be very much appriciated. I am thinking of trying a couple of things 1) digging a trench on a downward slop away from the window and putting a perforated pipe in the ground 2) drilling down below and away from the foundation and putting in a similar pipe. I'm not sure if the house even has weeping tile as it was built in the 70's so I don't really want to try to expose and connect to it if it if may not even be there.
It might be easier to just put a drain in the window well bottom and either dig a trench away from the house. Where the water will go depends on you topography. If it's all level, you can dig a drywell and empty it into that. If you're on a hill, you might be able you run it into the woods by the house.
Sump pumps and/or utility pumps are just a last defense to keep the water out of the house. You also need to keep these drains cleared for them to work. A drain matted with leaves will result in the same scenario as no drain at all, water in the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #6

leaky window well

Thanks again for the imput folks. What would you suggest I use for a drainage pipe. I have a pile of 4" rigid PVC that I could fill with holes, or the weeping tile type conduit. Also, is this drainage entrance usually covered with a screen of some type to keep the crud out of it. Thanks!