Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Leaky Window

The house that I bought has had the windows replaced shortly before I bought it. The front window in our living room is a 3-unit window made by Pella. The center window is double hung and the outer windows are fixed in place. Anytime there is a decent amount of wind, air leaks in. I've provided a picture of the whole unit and a close up of one of the areas where the air comes in. What can I do to fix the problem?

The air comes from the weatherstripping material that goes around the window where it slides.

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Leaky Window

I didn't know Pella made vinyl windows. The problem is probably due to a poor installation. The sides should be shimmed to prevent the installation screws from pulling the frames in and causing air leaks. Try backing the out the installtion screws slightly, should be 3 on each side. Another possibility, there is always an air gap between the window fram and house framing. That is supposed to be insulated before installing trim. If it was no, you will get air leakage at the sides. To check that, remove the trim between the windows. If you have the trim off, you will see if the sides were shimmed. If not, shim until the frames are snug, NOT tight against the sashes.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #3

Leaky Window

The vinyl windows are the "Encompass" line from Pella. Seems they now also make a fiberglass line.
If it's leaking at the sash line, check to see if any weatherstripping is missing where the sash lock is.
Put a straight edge on the jamb to see is it's bowed or not. If it's bowed out, the side weatherstripping might not be making contact.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Custom User Title

Leaky Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I didn't know Pella made vinyl windows. The problem is probably due to a poor installation. The sides should be shimmed to prevent the installation screws from pulling the frames in and causing air leaks. Try backing the out the installtion screws slightly, should be 3 on each side. Another possibility, there is always an air gap between the window fram and house framing. That is supposed to be insulated before installing trim. If it was no, you will get air leakage at the sides. To check that, remove the trim between the windows. If you have the trim off, you will see if the sides were shimmed. If not, shim until the frames are snug, NOT tight against the sashes.
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if its installation error. The PO cut corners. Where are the installation screws? Are they hidden once the window is in?

The air isn't coming in at the trim. The air is coming in between the upper sash and the side jamb.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Custom User Title

Leaky Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The vinyl windows are the "Encompass" line from Pella. Seems they now also make a fiberglass line.
If it's leaking at the sash line, check to see if any weatherstripping is missing where the sash lock is.
Put a straight edge on the jamb to see is it's bowed or not. If it's bowed out, the side weatherstripping might not be making contact.
Ron
I'll double check the weatherstripping. It seems to be there but I didn't look too closely at it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #6

Leaky Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hustler View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if its installation error. The PO cut corners. Where are the installation screws? Are they hidden once the window is in?

The air isn't coming in at the trim. The air is coming in between the upper sash and the side jamb.
The installation screws are at the top and bottom of the window, behind a piece of plastic. There should also be jamb stiffener screws at the sash line. But with your windows being mulled together the system might be different.
When you go outside, what sort of caps seal the window connection?
How is the exterior sealed?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Custom User Title

Leaky Window

They just have a piece of vinyl going up and down, on the inside and outside. It looks like they have a black foam under that. Earlier in the window, I recaulked around the window and the brick since it was pulling away at a couple spots. I figured that was were the wind was coming from originally. Since then, I've noticed that its coming from the center window unit. When the wind really blows, it makes an annoying buzzing sound as the wind comes through.