Leaking Basement - Need Creativity - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Leaking Basement - Need creativity

Hello everyone, first time poster here, I throw myself at your mercy asking you this:

I have a basement that every time it rains decently, the basement leaks. I've tried quite a bit of the normal fixes (assuring the drains pull the water away, ect) and realize that I need a sump pump. Problem is, I can't afford it right now but I will in the next year or two...

I'm looking for some suggestions that would cost no more then 250 that might give me a year or two of dryness.

Thanks so much in advance!

- EQ

Advertisement

Equillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

A sump pump might not help. A sump pump is really for dealing with a rising water table. Your water may just be runoff against the walls that is entering through cracks. First you need to figure out the source of the water and how/where it is entering.

First question does your grade slope away from your house with a 6" drop for every 10' of run?

Does the neighboring property drain toward your yard/house?

How far away from your house do your gutters discharge?

When it rains enough to leak does your yard have any standing water in it? Where?

What kind of surface and subsoil soil do you have?

Do you have exterior drain tile at footing level and does it discharge to the surface by gravity?

Does your basement wall have exterior water proofing? What kind?

Is your basement block or poured concrete?

Do you have cracks in your basement walls?

Are your basement walls flat and straight or are they bowed or leaning?

Finished or unfinished basement?

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
First question does your grade slope away from your house with a 6" drop for every 10' of run?
It's pretty flat overall where I live but I would have to say No, the ground does not drop 6' for every 10', but I dont live in the bottom of a valley either.

Quote:
Does the neighboring property drain toward your yard/house?
One does, one does not.

Quote:
How far away from your house do your gutters discharge?
About 3-5' - we have the black hoses

Quote:
When it rains enough to leak does your yard have any standing water in it? Where?
No, there is no standing water in the yard.

Quote:
What kind of surface and subsoil soil do you have?
Standard midwestern grass, under that, it's junk. Lots of rock, and dirt. There is dirt though, no bedrock for at least 10'

Quote:
Do you have exterior drain tile at footing level and does it discharge to the surface by gravity?
no and no (unless I dont know how to look for it, but I can see where my foundation meets the ground and theres nothing there where the dirt meets the concrete

Quote:
Does your basement wall have exterior water proofing? What kind?
no.

Quote:
Is your basement block or poured concrete?
poured

Quote:
Do you have cracks in your basement walls?
No, and yes. There are no cracks in the walls at all. Water comes from the seams where the floor meets the wall. No place is an exception, except for the garage side. The side with the garage does not leak at all.

Quote:
Are your basement walls flat and straight or are they bowed or leaning?
They are straight, not leaning at all.

Quote:
Finished or unfinished basement?
unfinished.

thanks so much for taking the time to answer this. It got me thinking at the least.
Equillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,266

Since it just leaks at the floor wall seam then it could be either a rising water table or just runoff. If it's a rising water table then you'll probably end up needing to have a sump pump installed.

But if it's just runoff there are two things you can do that may help that won't cost a lot if you DIY. First is extend your discharge hoses further from the house to 15 feet. Second is to regrade your yard around the house so that it drops 6 inches for every 10 feet of run from the house. You may have to bring in some dirt to do this or borrow some from areas that are too high to add to areas that are too low. You probably won't be able to continue the 6 inch per 10 foot drop for very far from the house but you should try to get this slope for at least the first 10 feet and make sure that beyond that you still have some slope away from the house.

Does the grade from the higher neighbors yard slope downward all the way to your house? If so you need to fix that by creating a swale that diverts this drainage away from the house. Create the swale as far from your house as practical so that the slope of the grade is downward from your house to the swale.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , leaking , mygodwatereverywhere , nomoneyforsump