Leak In Second Floor Of Rental - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leak in second floor of rental

Hi I had a running toilet that was clogged. Came home and there was water dripping through the light fixture. We pulled the chandelier and drilled about 7 different 1/2" holes in the ceiling in different joist bays. I appears that the water was trapped between the 2 bays and did not get outside of that (thank goodness). The water was there for a very limited time, but obviously the sheet rock soaked up water.

Now I am left with a decision of seeing if it will dry (or not) and just patching those small holes, drilling bigger holes and blowing air up there, or pulling the sheet rock and replacing it.

Obviously I don't want to do more than I have to . Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sean Alaska; 05-08-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Sean Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is really simple. Remove the drywall that is warped and replace it. Water trapped will more then likely damage the sheetrock. Even if it's not warped, I would open it up and let it dry out.
This is a very simple repair that insures mold will not grow and you end up gutting more material.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This is really simple. Remove the drywall that is warped and replace it. Water trapped will more then likely damage the sheetrock. Even if it's not warped, I would open it up and let it dry out.
This is a very simple repair that insures mold will not grow and you end up gutting more material.
Ron
Ron just to make sure we are on the same page on your advice......

We can't see any warping. My brother who is a carpenter in the Union says that we should just leave it as we have it for a week and patch the small holes then.

I could get a moisture meter and test it in a week to see if the sheetrock still has moisture, but then again I don't know what an acceptable moisture % is.

In a month we could go in with a mold test kit and test it. Right now I would like to think that aesthetically the 1/2" holes are the better way to go, but we could "watch" for the small potential of mold with a test kit.

Your thoughts.
Sean Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

My thoughts were expressed in my post. There are always other options, but this is what I would do.
If you thought your brother's advice was accurrate, why didn't you take it?
Why I advised this approach was that it minimized the possibility of added issues, versus the inconsequential cost.
You're embracing the alternative based on the ability to do the additional work. Whether out of a needed skill set or the additional expenditure of time and money.
It's your house and your family, do what you want.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

My vote is with Ron; sheet-rock is cheap, then no need to worry about moisture meters and mold kits.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Residential Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Alaska View Post
Ron just to make sure we are on the same page on your advice......

We can't see any warping. My brother who is a carpenter in the Union says that we should just leave it as we have it for a week and patch the small holes then.

I could get a moisture meter and test it in a week to see if the sheetrock still has moisture, but then again I don't know what an acceptable moisture % is.

In a month we could go in with a mold test kit and test it. Right now I would like to think that aesthetically the 1/2" holes are the better way to go, but we could "watch" for the small potential of mold with a test kit.

Your thoughts.
Sean
Do you really think you are saying any money between buying a moisture meter, mold test kit, rather than just doing it right the first time, Unless the ceiling is textured with something you dont feel you can match, a couple of sheets of GWB is cheap insurance and it is done now, rather than a month or two down the road. IMO

Trace

Advertisement

Tracymc is offline   Reply With Quote