Leak - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leak

I own a semi, in the middle of the internal wall between both houses just above the skirting board the plaster has become damp and my laminate floor in the same area has risen up. What could this be please? I have had my chimney repointed, so I know that is not an issue. There is a radiator close by, could it be the pipes? I have torn the floor up now, the problem seems to get worse when I put the heating on. Although I first notice the problem regarding the floor a couple of months ago, when I had not had the heating on for months!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Shelby44; 10-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Shelby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leak

Sounds like somebody in that wall is leaking, unless the neighbor has something going on over at her/his place. Have you checked with them? Maybe they have a leak, too, but the effect is hidden behind something. If the neighbor is good, tear into the wall.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #3

Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel
Sounds like somebody in that wall is leaking, unless the neighbor has something going on over at her/his place. Have you checked with them? Maybe they have a leak, too, but the effect is hidden behind something. If the neighbor is good, tear into the wall.
I was afraid that you were going to say that. Thanks anyways.
Just had a heating engineer round, he says not a problem with the heating at all. I have no clue on what sort of tradesman to get in next.

Last edited by Shelby44; 10-29-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #4

Leak

Shelby: You mentioned skirting. Are these houses on stilts/pilings/something so they are raised off the ground? Got any pics? If houses are raised, is there any access to the disaster area from the outside? Just trying to figure out exactly what your situation is. j
Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel
Shelby: You mentioned skirting. Are these houses on stilts/pilings/something so they are raised off the ground? Got any pics? If houses are raised, is there any access to the disaster area from the outside? Just trying to figure out exactly what your situation is. j
I have had a heating engineer round, there is no problem with my heating. So I have pulled the skirtings and floor up. I have found that I do have heating pipes running along the wall where the problem is, however I have also found a hole in the floor. I am no presuming that cold air is running up the wall hitting the warm pipes and turning into condensation. Hence why the plaster work is damp but no water puddles have ever been seen and also why it is at ground level only.
Going to leave it to dry out then see what I can do about heat resistant foam filler for the hole.
Thanks for your assistance. But if you can help will be appreciate.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

Leak

Condensation happens when warm, moist air hits something that is colder. If you walk inside wearing cold eye glasses, they quickly fog up, etc. Condensation is one of the reasons why I asked about the house being raised and air having access to the spot. Depending on where you are, condensation may happen often. If you have not run the heat for a long time, the pipes are cold. If moist air hits them, wetting will happen, and it will wick to whatever is porous and touching it. Stop the air and insulate the pipes, either directly or enclosing them in a box of some kind. j

Advertisement