DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   leaf gutter guards which do you think????? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/leaf-gutter-guards-do-you-think-122815/)

bsa_bob 11-08-2011 05:21 PM

leaf gutter guards which do you think?????
 
I was wanting to know as i am tired of cleaning leaves out of them. What is the best kind in your estimation .i can install about anything. what would you use???:( thank you bob s

creeper 11-08-2011 05:57 PM

I just installed gutter guards (the ones Holmes endorses, I got mine at Lo..es) Anyway, I chose to install them because I'm afraid of climbing on the roof and moving the ladder every 2feet to clean out the eaves. So far, they're great. The leaves just slip right off, but I suppose you need someone whose had them installed for a few seasons to give a more solid opinion

bsa_bob 11-08-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 766793)
I just installed gutter guards (the ones Holmes endorses, I got mine at Lo..es) Anyway, I chose to install them because I'm afraid of climbing on the roof and moving the ladder every 2feet to clean out the eaves. So far, they're great. The leaves just slip right off, but I suppose you need someone whose had them installed for a few seasons to give a more solid opinion


I guess i'm kinda on the fence with most of them, and just need somebody push me off the fence, to decide what i need.I was thinking the screens would stop all the big leaves -but the small particles, which we have a ton more of would /or might, plug up in just s short time.anyone else and thank you creeper bob s

oh'mike 11-08-2011 07:01 PM

I was just up on a house with tall oak trees all around---climbing the roof was like death--leaves everywhere.

The gutter had guards of some type and were clean as a whistle----that sold me on them.

kwikfishron 11-08-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 766825)
climbing the roof was like death--leaves everywhere.

:lol::lol::lol:...................sorry that's really not funny. Just one of those Déjà Vu moments I guess. :wink:

bsa_bob 11-08-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 766825)
I was just up on a house with tall oak trees all around---climbing the roof was like death--leaves everywhere.

The gutter had guards of some type and were clean as a whistle----that sold me on them.


Was it some type of screen material , were they smooth , slotted etc. Do you remember???:( and thanks oh mike

creeper 11-08-2011 07:27 PM

They are made of aluminium and they have small holes. Even small leaves will slip past, as will maple keys. Not so sure about pine needles though. I think you can google them.

oh'mike 11-08-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob (Post 766842)
Was it some type of screen material , were they smooth , slotted etc. Do you remember???:( and thanks oh mike

They were a smooth aluminum that went from the shingles and had a rolled outside edge at the gutter

Ron6519 11-08-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob (Post 766766)
I was wanting to know as i am tired of cleaning leaves out of them. What is the best kind in your estimation .i can install about anything. what would you use???:( thank you bob s

This has been discussed numerous times . Do a search of previous posts.
The correct product will depend on your specific conditions.

josall 11-08-2011 08:29 PM

I installed 300' feet of this type http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

last fall and have had 0 issues. They installed easily, the side that slides under the shingle needed notched for an occasional nail. The side that snaps onto the gutter did so securely with no additional fasteners. I bought 2 cases of 50 online for $68 a case very economical.

Something else I did when e replaced gutters I went to the larger 3x5 downspout (2 on an 80' run) and man they move some water and debris.

Gymschu 11-08-2011 09:40 PM

.............and a lot cheaper than Gutter Helmet which can run between $2500 - $4000 for an average sized home.

bsa_bob 11-08-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gymschu (Post 766950)
.............and a lot cheaper than Gutter Helmet which can run between $2500 - $4000 for an average sized home.

Thats esentually what i wanted to stay away from--the hi- dollar -do -the same- thing -as the- cheaper gutter guard. thanks for the lowes tip everybody bob s

chrisn 11-09-2011 05:13 AM

http://www.gutterinsertpro.com/warranty.htm

relatively inexpensive

creeper 11-09-2011 06:05 AM

www.smartscreenusa.com These are the ones I meant the Holmes uses. So you've got lots of choices now. Where we are the leaves are 90% down

Ironlight 11-09-2011 07:54 AM

We have Leaf Relief on our second story gutters which I can't easily reach and they are doing great. They are a bit pricy but they were an afterthought when we were having our roof and gutters redone and they were what the contractor installed.

http://www.leaf-relief.com/

Since the gutters were new I did not want to install a vinyl product that would not last as long as the gutters themselves. Also, I'm skeptical of filter-style leaf guards. Filters are going to clog over time...that is sort of the definition of a filter.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.