Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lazy Susan fallen off the track

We have a lazy susan (I think that's the correct term) built into one of our under-counter cupboards. It's fallen out of the "track" so it no longer spins. I managed to get it back in, but when I tighten the rod, the whole thing is too low and it won't spin properly. This is one with the door as part of the mechanism that spins - the door doesn't open, it goes inside the counter with the rest of the shelf. I hope this makes sense.

What is the best way to "lift" the system so it will close? If we can't do it ourselves, who is the best person to call to have it done?

Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I'm sorry no one has responded to your question yet. Let me try to help.

There are a number of "lazy Susan" styles that function differently.

Pictures will be impossible unless you perform some major demolition on this unit. So let me take a swag at your set up.

Your door and 3/4 round shelves may pivot on a rod that run from the top of the cabinet to the bottom. The rods are adjustable to allow for installation. If this is the style you have you may see plastic hardware at the top that holds the rod. Harder to see is the plastic hardware at the bottom. You will need to disassemble the rod and shelf system until you can identify your problem.

If you need to hire some help you could stop by a near by custom cabinet shop.. Talk to the boss.. if they don't do repairs that small... ask if he would mind asking some of his workers that might be able to fix this to stop by after work or on Saturday and fix this "on the side".

Make a little flyer...map to your house ...phone number... brief description of problem. Make four or five copies to give to the boss-man.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
I'm sorry no one has responded to your question yet. Let me try to help.

There are a number of "lazy Susan" styles that function differently.

Pictures will be impossible unless you perform some major demolition on this unit. So let me take a swag at your set up.

Your door and 3/4 round shelves may pivot on a rod that run from the top of the cabinet to the bottom. The rods are adjustable to allow for installation. If this is the style you have you may see plastic hardware at the top that holds the rod. Harder to see is the plastic hardware at the bottom. You will need to disassemble the rod and shelf system until you can identify your problem.

If you need to hire some help you could stop by a near by custom cabinet shop.. Talk to the boss.. if they don't do repairs that small... ask if he would mind asking some of his workers that might be able to fix this to stop by after work or on Saturday and fix this "on the side".

Make a little flyer...map to your house ...phone number... brief description of problem. Make four or five copies to give to the boss-man.
Thanks a lot - I really appreciate the tips.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #4

Name:  lazy susan.jpg
Views: 16045
Size:  9.0 KB

This is the unit that you're talking about, right?

try taking the doors off (4 screws on each door) If the lazy susan spins freely without the doors (the doors are now hitting the faceframe of the cabinet) then just adjust the doors by moving the screw holes up or down (in your case up)
good luck
joeMc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #5

By the way if the new holes are too close to the old ones you can fill the old with a small dowel type (toothpick, wooden skewer, etc.) I always keep a bag of golf tees handy for such an occasion.
joeMc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #6

Yes, that's it. Thanks - I'll try that!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

There should be a collar with a set screw around the center rod under each shelf. if so re-set the bottom collar to its original position by lining it up with the old set screw mark on the shaft. Good luck BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote