Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Layers under my kitchen floor

Yesterday I cut an access hatch in my kitchen. This one was different, I couldn't cut the whole way through and have an access hatch I could reuse. I just thought I'd share the layers. See below for pictures.

1) linoleum tile
2) tongue and groove subfloor layer 1
3) shims, at one end 1" at the other 3" (42" long openning)
4) rat poop layer
5) tongue and groove subfloor layer 2
6) 1942 newspaper layer
7) tongue and groove subfloor layer 3
8) tongue and groove subfloor layer 4
Attached Thumbnails
Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-tile-subfloor-layer-1.jpg   Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-shim-layer.jpg   Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-rat-poop-layer.jpg   Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-subfloor-layer-2.jpg   Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-1942-newspaper-layer.jpg  

Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-subfloor-layer-3.jpg  

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

Sounds pretty normal for an older house where the DIY home owners wanted to "save time" and just keep adding on to the top layer.
One of the many reasons most of us here suggest not doing that.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Here's the completed hole.

Among the articles I could read, one spoke about a "war-hating actor" that was released from a conscientious objector camp so he could enlist in the Army medical corp based on an agreement that he wasn't going to have commit violence.

Visible in the openning are the main hot and cold water pipes and the gas pipe for the water heater. Other pipes are also present which are debris, including old PVC for the kitchen DWV (which should probably be DW since there was no Vent), some clay pipe, the old galvanized gas pipe for the water heater, some aluminum foil the rats collected... The dirt really stinks like dead rats.

I'm planning I'll have to reroute the pipes so I have sufficient access to dig.
Attached Thumbnails
Layers under my kitchen floor-kitchen-hole-complete.jpg  
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sounds pretty normal for an older house where the DIY home owners wanted to "save time" and just keep adding on to the top layer.
One of the many reasons most of us here suggest not doing that.
The real killer is the absence of foundation under this area. I've mentioned before in my description of the house, but the original 22x24 was built in 1917 then another 10' was added to the back. That's what the kitchen is in. This 10' addition is held up by concrete blocks under the joists, and these sit on dirt. They've sunk more than the rest of the concrete blocks. I think the sinking might have stopped when the next addition was put on, a 10x10 mud room was added which is on a proper concrete slab.

What complicates the story is that because of this brick addition, I would have a harder time jacking up the balloon framed addition, so instead I'll have to replace floor joists and cut off the bottom of wall studs and put in a new bottom plate underneath. When I get to the second floor, I'm thinking there will be new double top plates on all existing exterior walls.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Retired carpenter

A hole right in front of the fridge . . . Your wife is a saint!
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracaboom View Post
A hole right in front of the fridge . . . Your wife is a saint!
He is lucky. Mine is still living. Could not resist, due to have listened to Darby O'Gill http://darbyogill.com/ too many times.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote