Lawyers? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

lawyers?

before i get into detail, i would like to know if this site allows discussions on pre law suits... thanks

Advertisement

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

lawyers?

As a lawyer, (and with NO authority from DIYCHATROOM) I will advise you: DO NOT discuss any factual information pertaining to a potential lawsuit in a public place, such as an online chat room.

If you need some advice contact your state/local bar association, they can help you find an attorney.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 528

lawyers?

Just my opinion.
The people on the forum are from many States. So the laws on suits and the rights of plaintiffs vs defendants in these States may differ on the law or pre-law. I think it would be best to post on a legal forum. Unless your question is about something you think is installed illegally, then we do have a few here that can offer help. But in the end, the laws of the locality will prevail.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

lawyers?

Technically there is no rule on DIYChatroom forbidding discussions like that
It is against the rules to solicit participants in lawsuits
It is against the rules to join simply to bash a company product or service
.... or to solicit "Internet" Ammo for a lawsuit (<--which does not work anyway)
But lawsuit discussions per say...no rule against it

Is it a good idea?
I'm assuming it has to do with topics covered on this site (as opposed to a medical malpractice or a libel/slander thing)

If it's a Contractor/Service issue:
Realistically, even in the United States alone (never mind our friends north, south, and across the seas) the rules vary so much state to state, even sometimes county to county within a state, that only someone trained in the law, the laws particular to your issues, and in your state's particulars pertaining to your particular issues could give any specific and helpful advice

For example, if you as a homeowner didn't sign an actual contract for contracted work, in some counties you are out of luck, and in some counties the contractor is out of luck

Even in counties where a paper contract must be signed for some services, there can be others in which a verbal estimate is not required

Of course, it keeps on going...and you could want some other sort of advice/opinions...so I'll stop as I'm sure you see my point in that regard
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

lawyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances
As a lawyer, I will advise you: DO NOT discuss any factual information pertaining to a potential lawsuit in a public place, such as an online chat room.
Good advice
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

lawyers?

Gawd, trust lawyers to have a pre-discussion on whether or not to have a discussion.

Fabian: Leah is telling you not to say anything because anything you say now, if it comes to the attention of the other party, may limit your lawyer's options in presenting the strongest legal argument he can. So, keep the relevant discussion out of the public domain. If this matter involves shingle roofing, or waterproofing a foundation, or hardwood flooring, just ask a general question about the subject matter, and then personal message the people who seem knowledgeable about the subject matter. So far as I know, no one else in here can access people's personal messages. To personal message someone, just click on their name, and you'll get their home page where you can leave them a message. (Hopefully, if the person you're PM'ing has a name like BeeBopBeluga, it won't turn out to be the contractor you're having the dispute with. Pretty slim chance of that happening.)

PS:
Q: How can you tell the difference between a dead skunk laying in the middle of the road and a dead lawyer laying in the middle of the road?
A: Usually, there will be skid marks before the skunk.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-16-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

lawyers?

Nestor, and OP, and everyone, FYI: PMs are not, despite the name, truly private. Any information you put out on the internet, or that you generate on your computer has the possibility to be found by a determined attorney (you wouldn't believe what I have seen a vindictive spouse pay attorneys to do).

This being said, I do NOT think it's likely that during a run-of-the-mill legal action that anyone would bother cataloging all possible E-mail, Forum post, or PM/IM. But, it IS possible.

I follow one simple rule: never type anything on your computer (in any form) that you wouldn't be happy to see on the front page of the local paper.

As to the lawyer jokes: BRING IT! I retired from law to work on my house it's less stress and more satisfying!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #8

lawyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
As to the lawyer jokes: BRING IT! I retired from law to work on my house it's less stress and more satisfying!
Kind of like being a building inspector...Everybody throws rocks at you until they need you in their corner!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #9

lawyers?

thanks for the replies, i just had a question as far as if my situation can be a law suit but its ok, thanks for the replies and im glad i asked. take care all
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #10

lawyers?

There can never be enough ,"dead lawyer" jokes.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

lawyers?

Fabian, I hope this doesn't have anything to do with your painting party
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #12

lawyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
Fabian, I hope this doesn't have anything to do with your painting party
lol no. actually the paint party was today and instead of having 2 guys per room which would be 12 guys, i just had 5 that know what they are doing because im a very picky guy...

as i said all day today "do as if it was your house"

Advertisement