Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lawnmower repair

my son has a toro lawnmower......when he tries to start it, (pull the cord) it kicks in, and then peters out.....however......if you keep pushing the primer button while it starts up, it will keep running....stop pushing the primer button, and it kills. neither him or myself are real great at fixing mechanical things....is there an easy fix for something like this.
yesterday the poor guy actually weed wacked his entire back yard.....we live in louisiana were it's 100 degrees so he was whipped. any help would be most appreciative.
thanks.
bill

bozonoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lawnmower repair

remove the gas float canister and the nut with the threads on it.... probably blocked in the orifice hole and up into the bolt needle from needle and thread will unblock it.

Last edited by biggles; 07-12-2009 at 06:12 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Lawnmower repair

And make sure that the filter is cleaned and oiled also!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #4

Lawnmower repair

thanks to everyone who responded...i appreciate your time and expertise. i have passed all of your suggestions on to my son, and will probably try and get over to his house this afternoon and see if we can get the thing working using your suggestions.
thanks again.
bill
Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #5

Lawnmower repair

my sears mower did the exact thing last summer. There was a gasket on the carb, with a slight leak, causing carb to loose prime. Bought a kit, online for it. 10 or 12 bucks
catmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #6

Lawnmower repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozonoz View Post
my son has a toro lawnmower......when he tries to start it, (pull the cord) it kicks in, and then peters out.....however......if you keep pushing the primer button while it starts up, it will keep running....stop pushing the primer button, and it kills. neither him or myself are real great at fixing mechanical things....is there an easy fix for something like this.
yesterday the poor guy actually weed wacked his entire back yard.....we live in louisiana were it's 100 degrees so he was whipped. any help would be most appreciative.
thanks.
bill
Bill,
That particular mower did have some problems as you described. When the factory re-engineered the production line they discovered that the simplest solution was vaccum assistance fluid. This can be purchased from Toro. However, the easiest solution would be is to go to you local Ace Hardware or TrueValue store and purchase vaccum assistance fluid. They will be happy to help you. Good luck!
Mowerrepairguy
mowerrepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #7

Lawnmower repair

thank you for the advice.....very much appreciate your expertise and time. will pass the info on to my son today.