Laundry Detergent Dispenser - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Laundry Detergent Dispenser

Hi;
I would like to build a simple dispenser for liquid laundry detergent.
I'm thinking of a plastic "bottle", at least 2 gallons with a relatively large opening on top to pour the detergent from the original container, and a hose or NPT fitting on the bottom for dispensing the liquid.

On the bottom I would attach a piece of pipe with a ball valve to control the flow.

I need the container to be of a translucent or transparent plastic so that I can see how much liquid it holds, but at the same time it needs to be sturdy enough to be attached to the wall and not break apart when full.

The reason I need this thing is that I am tired of the poorly designed large containers of detergent I have been purchasing at BJ's or Costco. In addition, these large bottles are difficult for older people to handle.

Thanks for your help

FW

Advertisement

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Why reinvent the wheel? Couldn't you just mount a shelf to hold on of the dispensing bottles that the detergent comes in already, and stick a piece of clear poly tubing over the nozzle as an extension? then when you want detergent you push the lilltle ball on the OEM nozzle with one hand, and guide the tubing where you need it with the other.

If a person (old or young) has to pour 1 or 2 gallons from 1 container to another, i would think your idea would make the process more dificult, not less

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
Why reinvent the wheel? Couldn't you just mount a shelf to hold on of the dispensing bottles that the detergent comes in already, and stick a piece of clear poly tubing over the nozzle as an extension? then when you want detergent you push the lilltle ball on the OEM nozzle with one hand, and guide the tubing where you need it with the other.

If a person (old or young) has to pour 1 or 2 gallons from 1 container to another, i would think your idea would make the process more dificult, not less
Actually, it was the failure of the little OEM ball that caused me to want another method. It only happened the once, but it caused loss of some of the product. Luckily it happened while someone was trying to use it, not all by itself when no one was around.

I guess you're right about this though. Why go to all the trouble when there's already a dispensing method built-in. I just wish that they made these things with a little more quality. Maybe if I could buy another nozzle to screw onto the bottles when I buy them. If the thread matches anything "normal" I could make one myself.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote