Late night safety concern. Please help.
I replaced the vanity lighting over my bathroom mirror tonight the screw holes to secure the vanity back plate were a little bit closer in on the new lighting, and I had to put the back plate a little higher (lights drop down). When I drilled the left hole for the expanding wall screw latch (not sure what its called) I ran into a rough patch about 1/2 inch into the drill. I switched out my bit for a stronger bit and it worked fine after a little pressure.
I secured the vanity light, and got everything set up and cleaned up, and I swear after returning the power to the lighting and testing them I smelled the slightest odor in the bathroom. (I also just installed 2 faucets, so it could be the smell of fresh metal).
I'm very concerned that I may have drilled through a natural gas pipe or something similar, and can't sleep because of the danger of carbon monoxide.
Could somebody let me know:
1) Are there gas pipes in close proximity to electrical fixtures in bathrooms?
2) Who can I call this late at night to test for a gas leak?
3) I shut off the lighting for the hall/bathroom, but have no breaker for just the electrical for that area. Do I need to shut off power to my house to avoid an electrical fire sparked by the gas?
I hope somebody is up and can help me out. I'm very concerned.
Also after reading up online, i'm wondering if this could have been a vent pipe? My left sink is now draining either not at all or very slowly once it hits a certain level of water. When I pump the pop up drain (quick in and out release of water), it then empties.
Is there a chance that I drilled into the vent pipe and now I have to have this repaired? This would at least put my mind at ease.
Not sure where you live but you should be able to call your local gas company to come and check for a gas leak. I recently had a bad valve behind my stove and there was a slight gas smell. I called them, they came and tested and let me know where the problem was. They can shut the gas off if its an unsafe situation until you get a plumber to repair it.
another possibility, is your new screw location has nicked an electrical wire. (fire hazzard)Not sure what you are smelling. Might just be old musty wall cavity.
remove your new fixture, remove some drywall and take a look. Then get some sleep if you don't have a situation that needs quick attention.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 PM.|
© 2003 - 2010 The Building Network LLC