Larson Storm Door - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Larson Storm Door

I bought a Larson Storm Door this summer and it is driving me crazy. It has the double piston closer and I can't keep it adjusted. I have tried everything. It will close nice and easy for about 4 or 5 times and then it will slam shut after that . Adjust it again works fine 4 or 5 times and then slams shut. I'm afraid I',m going to break the glasshttp://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

Advertisement

timlynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Larson Storm Door

The door can need seasonal adjustments, but if it's more then this, contact Larson. The door is under warranty.
How a door closes depends a lot on how tight the main door is and whether it's open or closed. If the main door is closed, there will be an "air cushion" between the doors which will slow or stop a storm from latching.
Set the closing rate with the main door open. If need be, when you leave, push the storm closed. Or raise the bottom sweep so the air can have an escape route.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Larson Storm Door

There is a bracket on the door that the cylinder attaches to. it probably has two sets of holes in it, (your cyclinder is held in with a pin in one of these currently). One of these holes is for the door with the screen in, the other for when the glass is in. Pull the pin and put the cylinder in the other hole, see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #4

Larson Storm Door

but it didn't work
Old 12-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
DIY Hack

Larson Storm Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlynne View Post
but it didn't work
did you re-adjust the cylinder screw after you moved it?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #6

Larson Storm Door

Yes I did and one was just turning loosely and lo and behold it is broke in two and just fell out. The other is turned all the way clockwise which according to Larson is the way to turn it for a slower closing door
Old 12-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
DIY Hack

Larson Storm Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlynne View Post
The other is turned all the way clockwise which according to Larson is the way to turn it for a slower closing door
stupid question i realize, but did you try turning counter clockwise to see if it makes a diff?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #8

Larson Storm Door

Not a stupid question but yes I did
Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
DIY Hack

Larson Storm Door

only other thing I can think of is that you could have your door jamb brackets on backward. Some of them are made to go either direction. it's all i can think of, hard to believe you would have got two bad cylinders
Old 07-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #10

Larson Storm Door

The trouble I am having with my SD closer is that it starts to close real nice and then the last 3 or 4 inches, the closers (there are 2--top and bottom), seem to release and the door slams. I live in a town house and I am sure my neighboors don't appreciate the loud "bang" when it releases or whatever the closers do. I read somewhere that that action, the last few inches, is to insure the door closing and the latch engaging. Maybe that's true, but I'd like to be able to adjust something; ie the mounting brackets or something. The adjusting screws do their job OK, but I''d like the door to not slam so loud.......brevity is not my forte, sorry.
old duffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Larson Storm Door

It sounds like you have it set for glass, but have the screen in it instead. It would close harder in the glass setting to make up for the resistance since the air can't pass through it. See post #3 above.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Larson Storm Door

In order to make them close the same speed, you have to make sure the pistons are on the right hole for season of use, and when you set the screws, you have to turn them until against the body of the closer, then turn each at the same number of turns, until you get them were the door closes properly. If slamming, then the closer may need a couple of drops of oil in them, or they are shot.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #13

Larson Storm Door

Thanks Gregzoll, I'll try the oil thingy.....if I can find the oil hole, if there is such a place. I have already done the adjustments you instructed.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Larson Storm Door

Old Duffo, you have to remove the screws, or coat the piston arms with a few drops of machine oil.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #15

Larson Storm Door

Thanks, again, gregzoll ! I'll give that a try.

Advertisement