Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Land grading

I need to properly grade the land on one side of my house and and back yard. I have a brick home with basement windows that Have cement sills. How much clearance do I need from the bottom of the sill to the ground ? I need to know if I need to add soil against the house or remove soil from against my property line.

SMB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

Land grading

A lot has to do with your existing topography. Are you on the side of a hill or relatively flat?

For flat, I would leave at least 12" from grade to the sill / bottom of siding. This will allow some room for mulch and your siding won't get splashed on too bad. Slope this out about 1/4" per foot for at least 10' away from your house.

For sloped, need pictures, with some elevation measurements.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,000

Land grading

Mulch against a a foundation holds in moisture, the whole idea of regrading is to get rid of water not keep it there.
Windows wells can be added if you need more grade.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Land grading

My home is brick therefore I have no siding. Currently there is only about 3" from the bottom of my basement window sill to the ground. It should be grass but the majority of it has gotten so flooded it's just mud most of the time. I do not live on a hill but my yard does seem to sit lower than my neighbors. Not a lot perhaps 3 or 4 inches at its highest point. I have no problem taking and posting pictures if I can get someone that really knows what there talking about and not just taking a guess.
SMB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 540

Land grading

Sorry I said siding and not brick. Most brick has a drainage plane like siding and must not be covered. Good luck on your project.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 546

Land grading

Two things come to mind.

First, where are you?

I will routinely only have 4" below the sill showing in a window well in a basement because even in my climate, the snow melts out of there. I leave 4" or so just so that leaves and what not won't accumulate faster than I can remove them.

Secondly, what type of soffit do you have? I mean, is this a ranch home with a 2' soffit or more, or is it a two story on the gable end with virtually no soffit coverage?

I think this will make a difference because of downpours.

You'll also want to take into consideration the way your soil drains and what drainage you have around your foundation perimeter.

If you have fast draining soil (like sandy/rocky), and a good perimeter drain, then this is better than clay as far as water pooling up.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote