DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

laminate countertop ?

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bellcabinets 
#1 ·
I am planning on installing some new laminate on an island in my kitchen. 2 questions. First is MDF the best substrate to use under sheet laminate or is there something else you would reccomend? Next when trimming the laminate to size can a router with a flush trim bit be used or do you need a laminate trimmer. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific advantage to having a laminate trimmer as opposed to a full size router which I already own. Thanks!

John

#2 ·
Whenever I had laminate counters made up for customers, I used exterior grade plywood and sealed the overhang before installation.
You can use a trimmer bit in a regular router. Laminate trimmers are easier to handle day after day, but for occasional fabrication a regular router is fine.
Ron

#3 ·
I have used both plywood and MDF. I prefer MDF but it is very heavy to handle and saw dust galore. Saws well and sands well. Plywood seems lighter but it does not seem to lay flat without using many screws. When sanding plywood edges beware of splinters and double coat the contact glue on the edges.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Question re: particle vs mdf. Since there will be an overhang on one end of the island for an eating area strength is a concern. I have 3 boys who hang, sit and lean on everything so mdf would be a better choice than particle board, correct?

Good to know about using a router vs trimmer. I think I'll just look for a good ball bearing, fluted, flush trim bit.

#6 ·
The overhang will be(should be) supported underneath no matter what material you use. If you use particle board, you should seal it. If it gets wet, it swells and blows out the laminate seams.
Ron

#7 ·
Particle board, with 1/8" overhang, double it, or glue and nail 2" strips around perimeter, depending on size of island. 1x2 pine, glued and brad nailed on all edges. Mark 2 pencil lines, one on pine, one on partical board, belt sand untill both lines are gone. Sealing not neccesary if laminate is installed correctly. Use a roller bit, and vasiline on facing to prevent burning.

#8 ·
I have been installing kitchens and countrtops for 20 years and have never once seen an mdf substrate on a top.
in certain areas of the country we used plywood if it is near the ocean,
but 99% of the time we use the industry standard which is particle board.
it doesnt matter which type of router you use as long as it has a laminating
trimmer bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.