Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which Laminate is best

I have 408 sqft of kitchen, pantry, and mudd room to cover. Currently has sheet vinyl and is really scratched! Am looking for opinions on what brand is best. I have 2 small children and a 60 lb dog, so I want something of good quality. I have looked at the following online, Wilsonart, Kronotex, Shaw, Durastone, Alloc, and others (I can't remember). Found a great deal for Kronotex, but don't know much about product. Any sugestions? I have layed Ceramic tile in my powder room, but that was a small area and trying to save some labor with laminate. I am only looking for tile laminate not wood> Please help!

Mrs. DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Which Laminate is best

Pergo-Select
Wilsonart-Estate

are the 2 best qualities available IMO

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via MSN to Benhamcarpetguy

Which Laminate is best

I agree with Florcraft on the selections. I will, however, mention that it sounds as if your floor will have some serious use with the kids and dogs. Please understand that while laminate is a good choice and can be a very strong floor, it's by no means indestructable. You will need to be careful with water and damage like scratches. A little more labor now installing the real thing may save you labor down the line repairing or replacing your laminate.

Food for thought, I'm not saying don't get laminate, you just want to make sure you're not settling.

Don
Benhamcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Gina Send a message via Yahoo to Gina

Which Laminate is best

We put laminate made by QuickStep (Living Surface) in our kitchen, laundry/mudroom, hallway, and 2 of our bedrooms. Now, I want to put it in the living room, the other 2 bedrooms and dining room! I currently have hardwood in my dining room and half of my living room that needs to be refinished. I like the laminate so much that I want to cover the hardwood with it!

The QuickStep is very easy to put together (Uniclic) and so far, it's been very durable. I have 2 teenaged sons with lots of teenage boys in and out and a 2 year old, 90 pound black lab running and jumping and sliding around on it. It looks as good as it did a year ago when we installed it!

I prefer it over the hardwood because it's so EASY to care for!

Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote