Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs up

kudos to Lowes

I've always assumed that "apron stores" carry less than "top of the line" stuff but no more. my recent purchase of a "Larson" storm door at Lowes showed a "super good engineered" product that had good instructions and attention to detail (like exterior screw cover strips)
There are "higher end" doors that will undoutedly last longer but for the money, this was well worth it.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
DIY Hack

kudos to Lowes

so shouldn't the kudos go to Larson? they made the door, and sold it to Lowes at a fair price. All Lowes did was put their standard mark-up on it and put it on the floor.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

kudos to Lowes

Quote:
I've always assumed that "apron stores" carry less than "top of the line" stuff but no more.
As I read it, the thread gives kudos to Lowe's for stocking quality merchandise, making it readily available to DIYs instead of having to go to a specialty trades retailer.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #4

kudos to Lowes

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
as i read it, the thread gives kudos to lowe's for stocking quality merchandise, making it readily available to diys instead of having to go to a specialty trades retailer.
correctamundo!
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
DIY Hack

kudos to Lowes

I have sold products into Depot, Lowes and most of the other big guys and they pretty much ALL want the highest quality they can get, as long as they can keep them moving out the door. They do want/need price point items, but they still push hard (sometimes ridiculously hard) to get the highest quality at any given price point. Turns are important to them, price is secondary. The bottom line is, they really don't care what an item costs, as long is there is a volume market for it. At the end of the day, it's the manufacturer ( in this case Larson) that decides how much profit they are willing to give up to satisfy the demands of these retailers. Lowe's certainly isn't taking any risk. They put the same % of mark-up on it, and if it doesn't sell they pack it up and return it for full credit, or put it on clearance ( they often times make the manufacturer offset some of the price reduction involved with selling on clearance)

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-26-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

kudos to Lowes

I agree with the OP. I went with a Larson Tradewinds aluminum storm door from Lowes. The install was $97 flat and the guy installed it so fast and tight. It is truly weather resistant. Before I had an exposed wood door and my exposed wood door developed cracks in it where you could literally see the slivers of daylight thru it. We had a bad thunderstorm where I witnessed my front door bleeding water inside the house, all the little slivers had water drops dripping down from them looking like multiple stab wounds! All the drops came down into my foyer and puddles were running all over the place. After that I ran to get a storm door installed. Since then I can open my front door during the worse of storms and not feel any wind or a drop of rain come in. I am extremely satisfied.
techprincesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
the Musigician

kudos to Lowes

Certain brands I've had experience with have had their problems, others not so much.
Larson has always had a pretty good storm door, and I doubt they dropped their quality just to sell them to Lowes or any other store. However, I could be wrong..... Some tool mfgrs drop quality just to get the store to buy and stock them. This gives both the store and the tool maker a bad name.

DM
Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #8

kudos to Lowes

I also have a hard time believing that a name brand manufacturer will make a lower quality item just to sell higher volume and a big chain store. True they have models that are sold exclusively at a particular store in what is know as a market partnership. Ultimately their name and reputation would suffer if they compromised quality for quantity sales.

It's also true that the big chains are in for high-volume sales and drop merchandise once the sales have dropped below their expectations. That's true even of the little guys these days. Apparently it is the only way to survive in today's market. Case in point, I could not find 1/2" Densshield anywhere in my local area and even the little guys told me it was because they were not selling enough of it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
remodeling pro

kudos to Lowes

Lowes and HD always get the automatic bad rap for selling nothing but cheap junk, which I think is unfair. Sure they have cheap junk if that is what you want to pay for, but that exact same item would still be junk, no matter where it came from. The one product I do always recommend to avoid from them is their paints.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
DIY Hack

kudos to Lowes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I also have a hard time believing that a name brand manufacturer will make a lower quality item just to sell higher volume and a big chain store.
It's done everyday on certain price sensitive items. Just like they would close up their plants in the USA and make products in Asia to save money and please their stockholders.