Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #1

Share |

Knotty Pine Problems

Hi there

We are finishing out walk out basement in 1 x 6 T&G knotty pine paneling. It is a large room with a big woodstove and we are going for the rustic look. We cut the boards and stained with Minwax Natural (2 coats 12 hours apart), don't think we rubbed off nearly enough stain though.

We got the boards up and they looked good, but gradually started to develop a streaky white waxy residue over the next couple of weeks. We sanded them down in prep for the Polyurethane, and the residue came off. It felt waxy.

But, when we tested a board with the poly, the residue came back white again! This is a large room, so we are not looking forward to resanding again...

Is it because we didn't get enough stain off?

Do we have to poly? The smell is nasty. Can we just touch up with stain instead?

Any other options for protecting/evening out the wood/ removing the white residue?

Thanks!!

Erin

oakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #2

Knotty Pine Problems

The white residue isn't related to the Minwax itself, I can tell you that with a fair amount of certainty. Don't let the name fool you, it is an oil stain and I've never encountered any white residue. Leaving excess stain on the wood might cause the stain that stays on the surface to get gooey, but it would still dry since it is solvent based. I would imagine that the wood itself is leeching the white material, perhaps sap, perhaps moisture.

Can you post a picture of what you're dealing with?

You might consider water-based poly...It dries fast and doesn't stink nearly as bad. Don't poly until you resolve the problem though.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

Knotty Pine Problems

thanks for the reply! I hope my pix are attched- the white residue can be scraped off with a fingernail, or sanding, but it is difficult to get rid of all of it.

The phots are of pine that had 2 coate of minwax Natural about a month ago, developed the white residue between then and now, were sanded to remove residue and then polyurethaned- and we have even more residue now after polyurethaning!

Thanks for any advice you can give us- we are newbies- and learning as we go!

Erin
Attached Thumbnails
Knotty Pine Problems-012.jpg   Knotty Pine Problems-004.jpg   Knotty Pine Problems-013.jpg   Knotty Pine Problems-014.jpg  
Old 10-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #4

Knotty Pine Problems

I'm baffled.

Is the white stuff sticky at all? Kind of like a resin/sap/pine tar?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #5

Knotty Pine Problems

What product eactly are you using and are you using any cleaners on the pine afterwards?
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #6

Knotty Pine Problems

No not sticky like resin at all. Do you think it would be worth trying mineral spirits or tsp and the try poly again? Do we have to poly or can we just leave it stained? The Woodstove has been going in that room so I can't imagine there is much moisture in the wood.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Tileguy

Knotty Pine Problems

Is it a real wood stove?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote