DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Kitchen Sink Drain Problem

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ponch37300 
#1 ·
I've installed a new kitchen (double) sink, and drain trap. If I put the drain plug in one side, and add water, the other side drains poorly.
I can fill the plugged side half way with water, and then run water on the other side and it will begin to fill. Once I pull the plug, they both drain great.
What is causing this?
:huh:

#5 ·
The vent would be behind the wall, going opposite the drain and tieing into a pipe that eventually would go through the roof.

The key question to ask would be, "Did you have any problem before you changed the sink? And..
What plumbing changes did you make under the sink?
Why do you have a separate trap for the dishwasher? Normally there is a special drain pipe that has a dishwasher connection that is between the sink and the trap.
Did you put the extra trap in?
Ron

#6 ·
The vent would be behind the wall, going opposite the drain and tieing into a pipe that eventually would go through the roof.
There is a vent pipe on the roof. Should I shoot the pressure washer down it?

The key question to ask would be, "Did you have any problem before you changed the sink?
Yes. Drained very poorly. The pipe between the sink trap and the wall was constricted with gobs of some kind of grease. It smelled so horrible! I wore a respirator, and used a power washer to clear it out. :shuriken:
When it began flowing, I could here the rush of water run out to the septic. :laughing:

And..
What plumbing changes did you make under the sink?
I did add a water filter, but has nothing to do with the drain pipes.

Why do you have a separate trap for the dishwasher? Normally there is a special drain pipe that has a dishwasher connection that is between the sink and the trap.
Did you put the extra trap in?
I have no idea why. It was built that way. I did not install the drain for the dishwasher.

#7 ·
I would open the trap connection and see if you can get a snake up the vent stack from below. You won't be able to get it from the roof as it comes off the main stack.
If this is an older house the 2" drain might be down to the diameter of a finger. I've taken out kitchen sink drains from houses built in 1949 and the opening was that of a pinky in a 2" pipe. You might need an auger snake that opens to the pipe walls as it spins to clear the pipe.
Ron

#8 ·
Thanks Ron. But I don't see how I can get a snake to go up the vent from under the sink. After removing the trap, looking inside the pipe, it makes a 90 degree turn to the right. (towards the dishwasher)
Wouldn't it be better just to go on the roof, and snake down the vent?

Our house was built in 1992.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.