Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen question

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and would like to share what I am doing to my kitchen... Primarily because I need some confirmation that my visions look nice and/or other ideas for it!

I started out with a smallish kitchen, low workspace, 24" stove, and pink countertops. Everything was nice - but not "me".

So far, part of the counter and cabinents are gone and remodeled to fit a 30" range and range hood. Shelves are reinstalled in the extra space and it looks awesome!

Across to the other side of the kitchen, I've planned on building more counter space. I was hemming and hawing about what to do (buy counter and paint all of the counter to match) or use economical butcher block.

I've opted for the butcher block because I think it will look updated and fresh and last longer even if I decide to change the other side of the kitchen. The base of the island are shelves from IKEA (which sounds lazy, but I promise you, looks really good) in white. My walls are yellow (not sunshine, not pale, somewhere in between). I have white appliances and and red small appliances.

So will the butcher block look good in this? It will be about 7ft long, 45 degree angle, and another 2 feet or so.

My other question is, for the other side of the kitchen, what would be a good choice to do the counters? I am painting them (I figure if I blow it, then it's still better than pink and then I'll eventually get them done), and was thinking a greyish/blackish.

Thanks for your help! I need some inspiration!!!

laur15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Kitchen question

"My other question is, for the other side of the kitchen, what would be a good choice to do the counters? I am painting them (I figure if I blow it, then it's still better than pink and then I'll eventually get them done), and was thinking a greyish/blackish."

Sounds like you've already answered your "other" question by yourself!!

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
the Musigician

Kitchen question

and as to the first question, Yes! butcher block style looks great anywhere! IMHO

DM
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #4

Kitchen question

Butcher block sounds good.

I woudln't paint countertops unless you're not going to use them. Just a waste of time -- the paint will come right off and it will look horrible.

What matieral are they? If they're laminate with square corners you can re-laminate them.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, butcher block, countertop, kitchens