Kitchen Major Remodeling - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Kitchen major remodeling

Greetings,

We are in the process of obtaining quotes for major kitchen remodeling. In the remodeling, we plan on moving one wall into the existing living room area to create more space in our galley kitchen. Since we have a formal dining room that is essentially a dead space, we are planning on opening it up into the living room and also make the foyer more spacious and inviting. I want to ask those of you that have done major remodeling, what are the things I need to watch for, questions to ask, concerns, well, your experience in general. We are also getting software to make our design, and strongly leaning towards doing it ourselves, with the outsourced electrical, and any structural needs, since walls will be moved.

I have looked into a company called clikstudios.com for cabinets and they offer help with design. Anyone have experience with them? Any suggestions on other design software?

Thank you so much. Have a beautiful day.

Miriam

Advertisement

brasilmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 4,142

Re: Kitchen major remodeling

I used Cliqstudios 2 years ago to do my kitchen. Design help was excellent, cabinet prices very reasonable. Quality and construction of cabinets is excellent. Had a friend use them also and was also very satisfied. They run 20-25% sales all the time.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,580

Consider removing the wall entirely and replacing it with a header, this will allow you substantial flexibility in designing the project. I removed the wall between our dining room and kitchen, and built an island between the kitchen and the dining room, this was probably the best internal improvement to the house I ever did, since it allowed us to expand the kitchen, eat at the island, work at the island, and easily move between the dining room and kitchen. I think we spend half our life in the kitchen and island area now.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasilmom View Post
Greetings,

We are in the process of obtaining quotes for major kitchen remodeling. In the remodeling, we plan on moving one wall into the existing living room area to create more space in our galley kitchen. Since we have a formal dining room that is essentially a dead space, we are planning on opening it up into the living room and also make the foyer more spacious and inviting. I want to ask those of you that have done major remodeling, what are the things I need to watch for, questions to ask, concerns, well, your experience in general. We are also getting software to make our design, and strongly leaning towards doing it ourselves, with the outsourced electrical, and any structural needs, since walls will be moved.

I have looked into a company called clikstudios.com for cabinets and they offer help with design. Anyone have experience with them? Any suggestions on other design software?

Thank you so much. Have a beautiful day.

Miriam
I did a clickstudios kitchen last year for a customer. I was very satisfied with the design help, customer service and quality. The cabinets were very reasonable.

I think you are on the right track. Focus on the kitchen design and build around that. The design help from the cabinet suppliers is a great inexpensive tool.

I'm a big fan of opening up space as much as possible. Walls take up too much space and create too many dead areas, in my opinion. I'm a fan of using furniture placement to denote different areas.

These are click cabinets:
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen major remodeling-img_1118.jpg   Kitchen major remodeling-img_1120.jpg  
Erico is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erico For This Useful Post:
brasilmom (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

We are taking measurements today and then start the design plan using either the cliqstudio or another one we found called sweethome. The are we have currently as the dining room is completely a dead area, and I wish the position was different so I could make a walk-in pantry. But it is the front room, the first room you see when entering the house. Not possible, as we see, to make a pantry there. But, since we are going to make a design as may try something.

Thank you so much.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Another question Erico. The full length cabinets on the edges, are those pull out shelves? I am considering something similar to one of the ends, where currently houses a double oven, which I plan on doing away with it.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 226

Quote:
Another question Erico. The full length cabinets on the edges, are those pull out shelves? I am considering something similar to one of the ends, where currently houses a double oven, which I plan on doing away with it.
you can make any cabinet a pull out (though corner cabs don't work well for that). just put in the racks for that. just installed a few myself.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Those pantry cabinets from Cliqstudios can be ordered with or without shelf pullouts.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
brasilmom (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Those pantry cabinets from Cliqstudios can be ordered with or without shelf pullouts.
I believe you are correct. I honestly can't remember but it makes sense.

Thanks for answering. I was traveling.

The cabinet on the left actually hides a small stackable washer and dryer. The unit is set back a bit in the framed wall.

Click sold us just the pantry front and drawers. I built a custom box.

If anyone caught it, the doors are upside down so the uppers don't line up. We did this so the rail is even with the top of the lower washing machine unit. It's a top loader. The upper dryer is front load.

The other pantry is just straight shelves.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Thank you everyone. We have started sketching the design, which was not as hard as we thought. I have submitted it to cliqstudio and I am waiting to hear from a designer to get started putting that in a 3d. We will consult with a contractor today to get some ideas and quote as well. However, we are leaning more towards doing the project ourselves as we have few other things we want to do and by the time a contractor adds its price we may be looking into $100k. Not financially possible for us. I will be coming back for more questions. Thank you much.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 60

for best solution to clean your kitchen is use Vinegar, Baking-soda and lemon.

Unclog = Pour 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Rinse with water.

Microwave = Put one cup vinegar and one cup water in a bowl and microwave on high for about 10 minutes. Afterward, stains and dried food should be easy to wipe away.
viveksuthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 8

I'm planning kitchen remodeling too and wish to make design myself! Which software is good for a DIY designer? I was reading an article (http://www.livehome3d.com/useful-art...sign-a-kitchen) and it recommends Live Home 3D. The price seems quite appealing comparing with Chief Architect's Home Designer, which my friend used for her house renovation 2 years ago, but I'm a newbie in interior design and not sure how to choose
lolagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagrace View Post
I'm planning kitchen remodeling too and wish to make design myself! Which software is good for a DIY designer? I was reading an article (http://www.livehome3d.com/useful-art...sign-a-kitchen) and it recommends Live Home 3D. The price seems quite appealing comparing with Chief Architect's Home Designer, which my friend used for her house renovation 2 years ago, but I'm a newbie in interior design and not sure how to choose
Honestly, it's much easier to take advantage of a free design service from any of dozens of cabinet sellers.

All you need is a simple room floor plan including window and door locations and ceiling heights.

Email to any of the many cabinet makers along with any requests - like sink location, microwave location, fridge location, island etc. etc.

You will get a complete set of cabinet floor plans and elevation depictions.

The bonus is you will receive a quote.

Send it to more than one company to see what different designers might come up with and compare pricing.

You can bounce ideas back and forth and/or have the designer make adjustments.

Unless a designer is working with some gigantic space and/or you are doing a major floor plan remodel of moving walls or even entire location, the options are somewhat limited anyway. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

That's not to say don't be creative or think outside the box. I like to take advantage of dead wall space between wall studs to build built-ins or build my own shelves between cabinets.

I always like to buy extra filler stock for little side cabinets etc.

This little cabinet was made out of a glass door the maker sent me with hinge bores cut on the wrong side. I cut it down and made a little display cabinet with no glass. I call it a jelly cabinet for some reason
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen major remodeling-img_1185.jpg  
gma2rjc likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erico View Post
Honestly, it's much easier to take advantage of a free design service from any of dozens of cabinet sellers.

All you need is a simple room floor plan including window and door locations and ceiling heights.

Email to any of the many cabinet makers along with any requests - like sink location, microwave location, fridge location, island etc. etc.

You will get a complete set of cabinet floor plans and elevation depictions.

The bonus is you will receive a quote.

Send it to more than one company to see what different designers might come up with and compare pricing.

You can bounce ideas back and forth and/or have the designer make adjustments.

Unless a designer is working with some gigantic space and/or you are doing a major floor plan remodel of moving walls or even entire location, the options are somewhat limited anyway. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

That's not to say don't be creative or think outside the box. I like to take advantage of dead wall space between wall studs to build built-ins or build my own shelves between cabinets.

I always like to buy extra filler stock for little side cabinets etc.

This little cabinet was made out of a glass door the maker sent me with hinge bores cut on the wrong side. I cut it down and made a little display cabinet with no glass. I call it a jelly cabinet for some reason
Thanks for your answer! I'm planning to use IKEA cabinets, but didn't like their planner tool and need more illustrative and functional one.
lolagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagrace View Post
Thanks for your answer! I'm planning to use IKEA cabinets, but didn't like their planner tool and need more illustrative and functional one.
You ought to rethink IKEA. They may look nice and are cheap but they are all particle board boxes. They are also knocked down and you spend a fair amount of time on assembly. Find real plywood boxes and drawers and assembled cabinets.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk
gma2rjc likes this.

Advertisement