Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #1

Share |
Question

kitchen island dilemma

My hubby and I bought an unfinished wooden kitchen island cart-like thing. The idea is to have extra space in both the kitchen and on the deck (for grilling). He bought a sealer without reading on the container--it's an outdoor sealer, which is why he bought it (I think)--and it's not really food safe. But it's been applied.

The issue is that I really wanted to be able to use the top as a prep station, indoors and out. So I really had not planned to seal the top with this sealer--just the shelves and legs. But now it's done. The wood is still raised a bit after the two coats he applied. So it either needs something else done to it or needs to be sanded and started over.

So, should we apply something over the top of this sealer, or should we sand this down lightly to remove the sealant and just reseal with mineral oil or food-safe wax? Or is it too late for food-safe products at this point?

(And if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm sorry--I did look and look for an answer, but didn't find anything.)

Thanks!
S

sandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
old guy contractor

kitchen island dilemma

Depending on how much sealer and how pourous the wood was, I would stay away from using it as food prep. Setting dishes and plates are fine, but raw food should be avoided.

Sorry Hubby. Read the directions....Wifey always reads them to me before we start.

A possible solution would be to make, or buy, a cutting board that would fit over the top and be removable so you could use it as a tray to bring food in and out.

Just trying to save Hubby's folly.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (06-23-2011), sandrus (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

kitchen island dilemma

Yup. Deed is done. You know what works nicely with those things though are the thinner plastic cutting mattes. Do your cutting and you can roll them up so the food slides where you want it. Handy with limited counter space and the utensils for things forgotten in the kitchen.

And they are inexpensive. When you knick them up one too many times or use them for things you would not want to follow with anything else just toss them. They are soft enough they minimize knife edge dulling too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #4

kitchen island dilemma

If it fits your decor and taste, consider a stainless steel countertop. In our log house, we have dark granite countertops and stainless appliances. The stainless top on the island fits right in.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

kitchen island dilemma

Cover the top with something. Granite, stainless steel, solid surface, etc.
Call the manufacturer and get another top.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
uva uvam videndo variafit

kitchen island dilemma

Put a Van Halen poster on top of it and rock & roll.

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counter top, food safe, kitchen, wood counters