Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |

kerosene torpedo help needed

i have a 150 remington torpedo kerosene heater thats not working right.
It will start when I plug it in like it should, runs about 10 seconds, shuts off with a big puff of smoke. I can unplug it and restart it, it will do the same thing? Any ideas as to what to look for ?

tecate1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Household Handyman

It sounds as if the unit is getting "flooded". This could be caused from either a fouled air cleaner--when have you removed it for service? And/or a faulty fuel pump unit. On the units I have worked on, the fan also operates the fuel pump and it is attached directly to the fan motor shaft in some method. IF you do not have a fuel filter in the tank, the "carburetor" can/will get particles in it which will cause it to work erratically. Cleaning the air filter is no problem, much like the foam units on most push mowers. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, removing, taking apart, cleaning, and putting the carb back together may be a challenge. There is also the chance that your has an electronic control unit which would have a "thermistor" in the system. IF SO, the thermistor could be telling the unit that it is not heating up properly, or maybe even overheating, and this shuts the system down rather abruptly, therefore---the big puff of smoke and probably the smell of half-burned kerosene. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #3

Where is the air cleaner located?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Glad I have not hung up yet and looked back at this. This will depend on maker and model so I will give somewhat of a generic answer: The air cleaner is usually located on the rear of the unit, most are inside a metal or plastic cover, some snap off, others have screws which must be removed. Most original air cleaners were of cheap foam material and will break down and crumble easily. I have used the foam replacement filter material for home window A/C units with success. At the point you are at with this unit, I would take the top cover off and check the motor unit to assure that it spins freely. IF the motor is slow at all, this will also cause an excessive heat build-up which would cause the unit to shut down by itself--over-temp. This will also be a good time to check the condition of the hoses, they are notorious for breaking down, with small cracks in them. Most of these hoses can be bought at auto supply stores in one-foot quantities. I would also suggest that if you do not have the owners/operators manual, you Google for it/them. You could probably Google and find a lot of information as to maintenance and repair of this type heater. I really like them , but they are so, so noisy. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Most tool rental places will service torpedo heaters if you're not confident working on it yourself...
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

It seems to be working. The filter must have been plugged. I changed the fuel filter and it started to work. I changed the air cleaner also just to do it, it didnt look to bad. THanks for the help.