Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

Keeping a small metal shed dry.

recently, my landlord built a metal shed for us. however, it tends to be rather damp inside. the base is just gravel surrounded by a wood frame on the ground. the walls of the shed are attached to the wood base. I have noticed recently that the objects inside can have some condensation on them. this includes the 2 bicycles that my wife and I keep in the shed. naturally, I am concerned about rust and possible damage to other objects in the shed. I am looking for suggestions on how to keep the shed dry all year round. the shed is far enough from the house (about 30 yards or so) where electricity can not be easily run to it. the shed is about 10 feet by 10 feet by 7 feet. it has no windows, and two sliding doors that open in the front.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by adam macross; 10-09-2012 at 12:16 PM.
adam macross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sounds like it is not breathing much. Adding some vents along the ceiling or a roof ridge vent/turbine of some kind might help. Keeping it absolutely dry is probably not going to be possible. Best keep the bikes nicely oiled!

Once you provide some airflow, make sure you have space for air to circulate by putting boxes on pallets and so forth.

Where are you by the way? You might want to update your profile with general geographic information.

Last edited by user1007; 10-10-2012 at 12:38 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

I agree; the first thing that I would do is to ventilate it, regardless of anything else. Then, I might add some rigid insulation, at least to the walls that receive morning sun, and the ceiling, in order to reduce the rate of temperature changes within. Depending on how it is constructed, you may be able to notch the sheets such that you can slip them in place, and not even have to otherwise attach them. And, I would probably lay a vapor barrier, i.e. plastic sheeting on the gravel floor, on which you could then lay some planks, or even just pallets, on which to walk. But, not knowing the conditions, hence whether something on the floor will help or not, you might first lay a large garbage bag out on the floor, and check it the next morning, to see which side of it is wet. I would think that should provide an indication of whether moisture is coming through the gravel as well, or if all of it is coming from the air within.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
liscenced electrician

Put a layer of plastic on the ground and add some vents
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shed dry dehumidify