Jet Air Cleaner 1micron Replace Or Vacuum Clean - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Jet Air cleaner 1micron replace or vacuum clean

Hi,

i have a shop air cleaner that is about 10 years old and over years I've been replace just the outer 12" x 24" air cleaner. Just recently I was using this air cleaner while cutting tile and it appears that the fine dust penetrated the cheap first stage air cleaner from HD (bought the cheap one) and is embedded in the internal 1micron air filter which is reminds me of some operating room mask. The clean side of the 1 micron filter is fine. I started vacuuming the 1 micron filter then I thought that I might be ruining the filter by radically removing what these filter micro structures may have caught, as it's supposed to.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought.

A replacement is $69.00 (btw, it looks like a bunch of wind-socks). then again 6.90/year aint bad. then again, i'm cheap, ocd, all of the above. this is also keeping me away from my main task of planing wood today...

Note to self: always get an exterior 1 micron or washable filter, to save the secondary 1 micron filter.

Thanks,

Ken

Advertisement

racerken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

Just pay the $69 for a new filter.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Let's see if I understand this. You want to vacuum off the outside surface of a dust filter to try to stretch it's life? So the dust that you suck off of the filter is going to go airborne as it exits the vacuum cleaner. So then you are breathing the dust that you trapped on the filter. There is a flaw in the logic there. Toss the filter and buy a new one. Secondly, a 1 micron prefilter to protect your one micron secondary is going to seriously restrict your airflow. Does the dust collector have a magnahelic gauge on it to tell you when the filter is dirty? Particle size is important, but so is proper airflow.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote