Jammed Snowblower - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Dee

Rewards Points: 10

jammed snowblower

Good morning and thanks for the warm welcome I received when I joined. Yesterday, as I was trying to clear the patio of snow, my Toro made a high squeeling noise. I discovered that I had picked up my dog's rope toy, a very thick rope with knots on either end. I barely know how to use this snowblower, I keep forgetting what to do with the choke, so I have quite a dilemma. Are these things easy to take apart, do I need to find someone who will fix it, or do I need to buy a new snowblower? I think I attached a picture. The rope is caught behind the blades, under a tongue of metal on it's way up the chute. I am much closer to selling today, than yesterday!

Advertisement

Dee_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

jammed snowblower

I'm guessing cause havent' used a toro, should be shear pins that you can remove so that you will be able to spin the blade to release the rope. I've seen them with cotter pins holding the pins in, you might want to have some spare shear pins on hand, they break when you get a jam, so as not to wreck your machine. Be careful, the blades aren't particularly sharp but you don't want your hand jammed in there.

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Dee

jammed snowblower

Thanks, Dude. Unfortunately I don't know what shear pins are and it would seem I can't even upload pics today - and I'm good with computers!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #4

jammed snowblower

hopefully someone with a toro can step in here, anyway, the shear pins, should be on the shaft that holds the tines on. Get all the left over snow out of there, look along the shaft holding the blade. You should be able to see a couple of metal pins going through the shaft, these break when you get a bad jam up so your machine won't suffer serious damage. Be flat on one side, a pin going through the other side. Remove the pin and the shear pin can be pulled out, this will allow the blade to be turned so you can remove the jammed rope. The blade probably has tension on it from the rope, you'll have to push on it some. Now of course if this is not how toro's are setup, everything I just said won't make sense to you.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #5

jammed snowblower

here is a better description of what I'm trying to say, also be sure to pull off the sparkplug wire before hand, just to be safe
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_33qf83wa7f_b
you should be able to pick up shear pins at any hardware store, just match up your old one, if indeed it broke
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

jammed snowblower

FWIW, I don't own a Toro Snow blower, I own a different manufacture S/B. So, I don't know what Toro's Shear pins, or shear bolts look like. I do know, that there are different kinds of shear pins and shear bolts.

Here are some more pics of these:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/M...-and-pins.html

http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-OEM-738.../dp/B000BQM1I2

http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-S_J_Products_Shear_Pin

Here is a description of what to do, to remove, and replace them, including where you should look for them on your S/B:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2120765_repl...ear-bolts.html
Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Dee

jammed snowblower

Thanks so much. I'm bundling up to go out and try again. I would like to get it cleared before my son finishes work. He shouldn't have to work all day and then look after his house and mine!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

jammed snowblower

It looks like it's just jammed in there. Get a sharp knife and cut it out, piece by piece.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Dee

jammed snowblower

Hi all: I used a saw, sawed through the one knot and separated the strands, then I used pliers to pull the other knot out of the chute. This was my original plan, but I was really afraid to have my hands close enough to the blades to do this. Since I know nothing about the mechanics, I was worried that releasing the string would cause the thing (auger?) that it was trapped in to spring backwards and trap my hand - then I really would be dependant on my sons!

There was a plastic stick attached to the top of the snow thrower used to clear out the chute that must have fallen off some where in the snow. What happens if I run over it? Can I tell just by looking at the shear pins whether or not they are broken? (Don't look like) Thanks for your help.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,546

jammed snowblower

Easy to test the shear pins. With the unit OFF try to turn the augers by hand. If they spin easily then the pins have sheared.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
Custom Cabinet Maker

jammed snowblower

Dee M the shear pins are those 2 bolts thru the auger drive shaft.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 526

jammed snowblower

try a good side cutter pliers and whack away,,,that LOOKS easy enough,,,pinch and twist and pull,,,even a long handle pinchers should help,,,or good utility knife.

I have had rotary stalk cutters that have had 1/2 mile of barbed wire wrapped in them,,,your lucky dude!!! Another thing,,if you have a small propane torch. Burn off both ends,,,dont burn off the pretty paint,,,point toward the snow

looks like you MAY be able to turn it backwards enough even NOT taking out shear pins

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote