Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Share |

Its finally mine (and the bank's)!!!!

We finally closed on our first house Thursday! Moved in on Saturday, and its been great! I am loving all the extra space a house affords and all the freedom to do whatever I want with whatever I want whereever I want inside and outside.
That being said... now that we're in here I've started to find all the things the inspector missed and that the seller made look like he repaired but actually didn't.
Like:
-Guest Toilet leaking from base (So I need a new seal, I might do it myself but I'm going to need a plumber anyways for some of the other issues).
- Leaking drain under bathroom sink.
- Master Toilet rocks forward slightly when you sit on it, feels like if you just "plopped" (to use a bathroom appropriate term) down on it without thinking it would tip over.
- Disposer sounds like somebody poured a bunch of screws into it when you turn it on but there is nothing loose in there I can feel.
- Front hose bib does nothing. No water at all comes out. I suspect that since the master bathroom is right behind it that they disconnected when they did the remodel and the only way to fix this would be to rip out of the tub and tiles (so in other words, I'm not going to have a front hose bib).
- Dishwasher, while "working" doesn't appear to be draining completely and also is COVERED is mold splotches. I took advantage of a sale at Lowes and we're getting a new one delivered and installed.

It feels like I could go on forever listing things.... We just don't have the money to do it all so I suppose its all about prioritizing the list. All in all though, even with the long list of repairs I am so happy to be a home owner.

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Congratulations. I know you are strapped for cash but you must find the tackiest lawn ornament you can. Nothing screams home ownership like lawn ornaments.

You are dead on prioritizing. But you will not like me for suggesting before you pretty the place up you work on the infrastructure issues found or missed in the inspection.

You must also make the critical decision about how much you can do yourself. Some of us on this site get accused of being snarly or even snarky but we will help you. Many of us have been through all you face over and over again. I at least learn new things all the time on this site. And I really have been accused of thinking I know it all.

Welcome and please do get the tacky lawn ornament. Finding a place by home number and green lawn only is impossible. A nice oversized gnome is easy to spot.

If in a new house and having been an apartment dweller? Crank up the tunes dude. Learn to dance---involve the wife.

Last edited by user1007; 05-01-2012 at 09:47 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Welcome to home ownership! You'll dump a ton money and a TON of time into it, making it "your own"... have a few kids... decide it's too small... sell it for a new one... and do it all over again...

wait, that was me....
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silversport For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-04-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
Welcome to home ownership! You'll dump a ton money and a TON of time into it, making it "your own"... have a few kids... decide it's too small... sell it for a new one... and do it all over again...

wait, that was me....

Bet you brought puppies and kittens into the equation also? And named them really stupid names? Every home needs a pet. Not sure if I am a dog or cat person.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

We actually just had our first kiddo February 1st and also have had a dog for 3 years now. The dog loves having a backyard to run around unleased!
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
We actually just had our first kiddo February 1st and also have had a dog for 3 years now. The dog loves having a backyard to run around unleased!
Cool. And super congrats on bringing a future famous person into the world. Take lots of pictures. They have a way of growing up so fast. You will need pics for bribery purposes when they turn into teens.

Kids and dogs love lawn ornaments. Dogs I once had loved swimming pools too. Never had a dog that was much of a mouser. Loved cats for that.

Last edited by user1007; 05-01-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

Well there are tacky lawn ornaments and then there are statues.

Don`t forget your shadow figures as well. Always a nice touch of class
Attached Images

Last edited by creeper; 05-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #8

Congrats on your new house! We just bought our first in December, and the initial 'to do' list is finally almost complete. Some of my work so far looks a bit amateurish, but it's been a ton of fun getting my hands dirty and learning how to do some stuff. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well!
MitchTheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Craftster

I vote for a pink flamingo, a neighborhood can never have too many of those.

Welcome to the community and to home ownership!
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Hell of a fella

congrats! it is a never ending project really...but it's fun to make it your own. 2 years into home ownership for me and still doing this and that's around the house (right now getting our soon to be born daughter's room ready). loving it.
DrumBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Metal Roofing

I would wager the OP would prefer something along the lines of a stuffed Home inspector.
AndyWRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #12

congrats, it feels great to own, but the to do list never ends........... ever
mcfarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #13

Congrats !

i am in my new to me house 2 months now. i would be THRILLED ! but my hours are being cut at work, among other things. so i have yet to actually be excited

anyway.
have fun fix'n it up
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #14

Congrats!
Very exciting time. There is nothing like being a home owner. The project list will only grow with time, even if you think it will shrink. Its odd how that works, but if you like doing DIY projects you won't mind it. Get used to going to Home Depot regularly as well

There is nothing like owning your own place. Nobody to answer to, no board to approve things. Other than the city, and respect for your neighbors, the sky is the limit (Within budget which always seems to be much more than originally planned).

Have fun and enjoy it!
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
vln
Underwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post

There is nothing like owning your own place. Nobody to answer to, no board to approve things.

Have fun and enjoy it!

HOA

I remember I read someplace the HOA fined some poor man $3,000 a day until he removed a tree that was there when he bought the house.

vln is offline   Reply With Quote