Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Interior Fiberglass Sheathing

Hey everyone, years ago in college I was watching a show on new construction materials and there was a guy erecting insulating sheathing. I seem to remember it being a solid bluish, but it was NOT foam. It was a kind of rigid fiberglass drywall. I remember he had a tool that you passed over a fresh cut to give it that factory tapered edge to make every seam perfect. You erected it as normal, tape and plaster with light sanding and a coat of paint to finish.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and who makes it?

Trust me, I'm not crazy, oh no its real.

Darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #2

Sounds to me like blueboard. Is is simply a drywall with a special paper side that allows plaster to grip it. It is for skim coat plaster, and has no special insulation qualities.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Sounds to me like blueboard. Is is simply a drywall with a special paper side that allows plaster to grip it. It is for skim coat plaster, and has no special insulation qualities.
Thats not it. It was a form of dense fiberglass insulation. Like I said you used a specialized tool to shave a low taper to fresh cut edges, and once cut it was the same material through and through.

I just remembered it was also a tongue and groove fit.
Darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, energy efficiency, insulation, sheathing