Insulation - Rolls Vs Blow In - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation - Rolls vs Blow In

I'm about to insulate the attic in my 900sq ft home. Which is better in terms of cost, ease of install, and preparation--blow in cellulose or the rolls/batts of fiberglass?

Also, currently I have insulation about 3/4 of the way up to the top of the joists (some kind of blown in fiberglass). What should I do with this considering it doesn't completely fill the joist bay?

Experience, suggestions, comments.

Thanks.

Advertisement

tyreal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #2

A few weeks back I was wondering how the DIY blown in cellulose insulation process was before I did it, but couldn't find any info. This was my experience last weekend. I bought 168 packages of the cellulose from Home Depot ($8.96 per bag). We added a 2nd floor addition, so this was for a new construction attic space(~1550 sqft). The blower was free for 2 days since I bought so many. The blower they gave me was a "Force 1", which they told me was their rental version, not the freebie version. I called the cellulose company before this whole process and they told me I could average 15-17 packages per hour with the standard machine. My wife and I did all 168 packages in about 6.5 hours. It was very easy and faster than I thought. We were blowing the insulation into our attic to a depth of 15". It is very dusty so you do need to where a mask. I was very impressed with the machine. It didn't clog once on us. We were feeding the insulation up 2 floors through 100' of hose. If you can leave the machine outside, I'd recommend it as it puts a lot of dust in the air. We brought it inside as it was cold out.

Advertisement

watersda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

tyreal78 -

It seems as though you are only concerned with cost, ease and preparation.

If you are not concerned about the benefits, why even bother to post. - There is no question, when you are done you will get much more benefits with cellulose and none of the disadvantages.

Just blow over what you have and make sure you do not obstruct the ventilation.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
tyreal78 -

It seems as though you are only concerned with cost, ease and preparation.

If you are not concerned about the benefits, why even bother to post. - There is no question, when you are done you will get much more benefits with cellulose and none of the disadvantages.

Just blow over what you have and make sure you do not obstruct the ventilation.
Well, being that I already know the technical benefits due to researching the subject and the fact that I am a full time student working full time with very little money or time trying to maintain homeownership, I am indeed more interested in what people have paid and experienced with each of the options first hand. Thank you for your worthless reply though.
tyreal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Too bad you did not mention that you knew everything about energy conservation since you just a student. There are more than just the technical benefits, as I realized 40 years ago when I was both a part time and a full-time student.

The real test is the actual performance of the installed insulation, not just the "book learning".

After many years of being involved in code applications and forensic engineering, I feel I have some thing to offer to you. If you want a book instead of just a quick forum answer, I will gladly write you a formal enginering paper similar to those I have publish in journals.

By the way, I have also installed insulation in my ouwn homes and my children's.

Do you still believe in the old "R-value" good fairy?

Your "worthless" contributing "friend". - I hope you graduate to the real life very soon.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 12-14-2007 at 09:00 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

advantages, disadvantages, r-value, cellulose, fiberglass, batts , blown??
whats your "good fairy, graduated to real life, engineering opinion"?????
boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Cellulose is the way to go for economy, and the fact it really works, fiberglass is a myth....like the R values that it claims to hold.

There will be a new round of testing soon, and then we will see how the pink panther holds up.

Advertisement

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote