Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Insulation Qustion

I have a 110 year old house two stories and i need insulation blown in my walls in a bad way, Is this something a DIY'er can do or better left to a pro. Iam thinking that they would have to drill holes on the exterior of house and blow it in. also what if i have a pro due it it a reasonable price or how do the figure something like that? I dont mind alittle work just want to make sure its done right..

splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Insulation Qustion

The only way you'll know if it was done correctly is with a thremal scan after it's done. There are many little pockets that need to be done to insure, "complete".
Do you have access to a thermal scanner? Are you familiar with house framing? Will you know the bay is properly filled?
If you can answer yes to all these questions, you should be able to do the job.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Insulation Qustion

This is a project you can do yourself. But shop the cost of the equipment rental, material and then get bids from pros. The pros are going to be DIY competitive.

The company that did my own former N California house drilled tons of holes into stucco. Patched them so nicely you cannot tell.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation Qustion

You will need a vapor barrier on the inside of the house. 6 mil poly works well. The drywall over it.
budedm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helpful