Insulation Question - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation question

My house has rockwool bat insulation in the attic. I think it has been there so long it is starting to settle and not do the job anymore. I am thinking of adding about 10 inches of blown in insulation. My question is this, do I just blow the new insulation over the bats and let their vapor barrier serve as vapor barrier for the blown in or do I have to remove the old bats and put in a new vapor barrier before blowing in the new insulation? Whatever I do I have to get some relief from these high electric bills and hot upstairs rooms.

Advertisement

hswaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Insulation question

I personaly would just blow in the extra 10" of insulation.Your Vapour barrier is between your ceiling board or plaster so you would have to remove all your ceilings (wouldnt bother with this). Check for venting, is there roof vents, gable vents, soffitt vents. A lot of older homes do not have soffitts vents so a good way of getting some cross air into the attic is installing Gable Vents at each end.
Another approach is to get some soffitt venting in but this takes a lot more work so you might want to go the Gable Venting way and see how this works for you before going into getting soffitt venting.
There are fans and turbines you can put in also.

Advertisement

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation question

I have done a lot of web searching in the past few days. And the how to section of Lowes led me to the same answer. Leave the old bats there and let them provide the vapor barrier. Thanks for the reply.
hswaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
I personaly would just blow in the extra 10" of insulation.Your Vapour barrier is between your ceiling board or plaster so you would have to remove all your ceilings (wouldnt bother with this). Check for venting, is there roof vents, gable vents, soffitt vents. A lot of older homes do not have soffitts vents so a good way of getting some cross air into the attic is installing Gable Vents at each end.
Another approach is to get some soffitt venting in but this takes a lot more work so you might want to go the Gable Venting way and see how this works for you before going into getting soffitt venting.
There are fans and turbines you can put in also.
Hi. I have a similar situation...
my bathroom was reno'd but no vapour barrier was installed on the ceiling over the shower...
question: do I need it?
question 2: can i install a vapour barrier from the attic? in other words...some how install the plastic to cover and seal the exposed bare blue board that is above my shower? thanks
p.s. I have a shower fan and a window in this bath
wilsonfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Insulation question

Wilsonfrench, don't worry about it. The vast majority of homes don't have any sort of ceiling vapor barrier. I certainly would not advocate installing a vapor barrier on the attic side of the insulation. If installed, it should be between the framing and the ceiling, which is impossible unless you're in the process of remodeling.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #6

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Wilsonfrench, don't worry about it. The vast majority of homes don't have any sort of ceiling vapor barrier. I certainly would not advocate installing a vapor barrier on the attic side of the insulation. If installed, it should be between the framing and the ceiling, which is impossible unless you're in the process of remodeling.
thekctermire,
while I understand your posting and understand that most homes do not have the vapour barrier, part of my ceiling does...
I have researched some info and found that the VB can be installed along the floor and then stapled / sealed to the joists...
is this a possiblity?
if I do not have a VB, will vapour mositure go into attic? and become frost on my wood frame (in the winter)?...then in the spring, turn into water,,..and drip onto my insulation and eventually into my bathroom?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfrench View Post
if I do not have a VB, will vapour mositure go into attic? and become frost on my wood frame (in the winter)?...then in the spring, turn into water,,..and drip onto my insulation and eventually into my bathroom?
If your ceiling were permeable, maybe. But with primer and paint you won't have bathroom humidity penetrating the drywall and getting into the attic. I see no reason to install a vapor barrier in the ceiling, and can assure you that your concerns will not come to fruition.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Insulation question

Homes must "breathe"......you can add as much blow in as you desire, and it will be tight, but never cause a problem.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #9

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If your ceiling were permeable, maybe. But with primer and paint you won't have bathroom humidity penetrating the drywall and getting into the attic. I see no reason to install a vapor barrier in the ceiling, and can assure you that your concerns will not come to fruition.

dear thekctermite...
my area of concerns is specificially around the tiled ceiling of the shower (a 4 foot by 4 foot) tiled section tiled onto blue board (with no VB above it)....
also, the fan that was installed has about 1/4" gap around it that I could see right into the bathroom...which means air can get into the attic, yes?
would putting a VB "hurt" my attic or ceiling or drywall?
I cannot paint that section of tiles (obviously).
Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #10

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
Homes must "breathe"......you can add as much blow in as you desire, and it will be tight, but never cause a problem.
Dear Joasis...
what about having no vapor barrier? is that a problem? or would I be better off to add one above the tiled area of the shower?
thanks

Advertisement