Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating window weight pockets

I got the weights removed & got some fiberglass insulation to put into weight pockets, but not sure how tight do I want to pack it? The plan was to push it through all the way to the top through the weight openning and fill some gaps with great stuff for windows on the top & bottom. But I don't know how tight it needs to be inside the weight pocket? Thanks in advance!

sergv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

Just be careful when using great stuff around windows (or doors) as it is an expansion foam and can affect the performance of your window. If you do need to use it, use the 'low-expansion' version. As far as the fiberglass goes, fill the void, but you do not need to 'pack' it. Packing it tightly will prevent the fg from breathing and allowing moisture/condensation to dissipate. If you have removed the old wood windows and weights to install a replacement (vinyl, aluminum etc) then you could leave the weight access cover in place and just fill from the top via the hole where the pulley was. Otherwise, I think you idea of feeding it up from below will work well.
Brett

Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Most insulation looses it's insulating properties when compressed. If it is 5 1/2" insulation then put it in a 5 1/2" void.