Insulating Pipes - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulating pipes

Hi from Earth Texas. Can anyone help me with ideas about insulating a north walled utility room so that the pipes won't freeze.There is quite a bit of insulation in the wall and the pipe themselves are packed but we have had two below zero cold front and snow in the last week and both times they have frozen ( pipe sprung a leak once, had to repair). It came another one today and they are frozen again.Is there a energy efficient way to put more heat in there? Any suggestions appreciated!! charlie

Advertisement

charliesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 40

insulating pipes

Are you saying this is unusual weather for your region? Why go to the expense of a permanent fix for a temporary problem. You can have all theinsulation in the world but you don't have an adaquate heat source, you are still going to have pipes freezing. Why not get a safe space heater in there till the weather woarms up? I had a landlord years ago who set up a 200 watt flood light aimed at the direction of his water tank and pipes in the pump house which worked after the pump froze.

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

insulating pipes

Yes this is unusual weather for us to get 7 or 8 below.We have some really cold weather but not this cold. I was thinking maybe just a heat lamp might work. Thanks for the info. CS
charliesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

insulating pipes

Leave a faucet trickiling to avoid pipe bursts
bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

insulating pipes

Texas is having unusually cold weather this winter! Earth, TX is up north near Amarillo isn't it? Y'all seem to have colder winters than we do in San Antonio and Austin. Luckily I haven't had any pipes burst, but I think I'll be insulating them just in case. I'd rather be prepared for the next bout of weird weather than deal with water leaks.
MsMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

insulating pipes

All the insulation you wish to add will NOT stop pipes from freezing IF the cold temps sustain and gets through the insulation. As noted, some form of hear needs to be applied in this area. It will not require heating as in the living area of a home, just enough to keep this area above the freezing level. That's why the light bulb trick works, and I have used it here in S. GA. within my well-pump house in unusual weather. I also now use heat lamp in my work trailer overnight to keep things from freezing. Very hard to use caulk the day after temps hit in the mid-20's overnight.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote