Insulating IC Recessed Lighting. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating IC recessed lighting.

Hello,
And thanks in advance for any info.
I currently live in a ranch style home with recessed lighting in the living room, as well as kitchen. We seem to be losing a lot of energy through the attic based on an energy audit performed by a local company here in New Jersey. They rated it at about 24%.
My question is how do I properly insulate above/around the recessed lights.
The recessed lights AREN'T the type with a big box around them (air-tight). They are just cans with thermal sensors above where you screw the light in and they do say IC on them.
Can I cover them in cellulose? or do i need to leave a 3" gap around them.
Also in the kitchen the recessed lights are in a soffit that isn't insulated, there are rafters above the soffit with insulation but nothing in the actual soffit, can anyone provide information on how to properly insulate that scenario as well.
Thanks

Advertisement

topher0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can put insulation over and around IC recessed lights.
In the soffit, you can just insulate the exterior wall around the cans or cover them if they're IC cans.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If I have a thermal sensor in them do I run the risk of them becoming to hot if covered in insulation and shutting off. Basically is there a certain R value that you have to maintain to have the lights properly
topher0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Professional Wood Shafter

Rewards Points: 150

If they are IC rated then insulation is allowed to be directly on the fixture and shouldn't trigger the sensor. Don't use a bulb higher than 75 watt they should be fine. Otherwise insulation should be atleast 3" away from the can
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Remove the bulb and look inside the fixture, if rated for insulation contact, they will say "IC". If not, you can't pile on insulation. Best to replace them with airtight fixtures. You can insualte over these AND they don't leak air to the attic.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote