Insulating Fireplace Hearth - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Insulating Fireplace hearth

My neighbor has a large fireplace hearth made of marble that sits up high. It's a hollow box approximately 1 1/2 tall, 1 1/2 ft deep, and approx. 3 ft wide. It sits above a crawl space. The marble in constantly cold in the winter. They would love to insulate but removing the marble could damage it. We discussed going into the crawl space and drilling a hole under the floor and spraying foam insulation. I'm concerned it could be a potential fire hazard. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Red Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Insulating Fireplace hearth

Marble is cold. I have a small slab of marble I use as a table top. It always feels cold to the touch no matter where the thermostat is set.

Before tearing stuff up I would find out if the marble is significantly colder than it should be. Many marble finishers have small scraps they will give you as samples. Cheap and easy test: Leave a scrap sitting on it for 24 hours and then see if you can feel a difference in the temps.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote