Insulating Basment Windows - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulating basment windows

I have those single pane rectangular windows in our basement. They pivot open using the simple handle - ie the cheap ones.

So how do I stop the heat loss with them, without blocking the light or making them difficult to open...?

Advertisement

pmatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are talking about the steel framed variety, or old wood single glazed windows, replace them with new double insulated vinyl windows.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

pmatc,

I have those same windows in my 1957 home. I wasn't in the market for replacing them so I build storm windows for each of them which fit snuggly into the window recess on the inside.

It was an easy and inexpensive solution that helped considerably with heat loss! The hardest part was making the (out of square) frame.
roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 630

Are yours the "hopper" windows that pivot at the bottom ? The steel frames on mine were embedded in the concrete wall. They leaked air something terrible.
I looked at replacing them, but "good" windows were rather pricey, and the install didn't look at all like fun.
So I welded up some frames out of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 angle iron for each window. Painted them white gloss. I mounted them to the inside wall with acrylic caulking ( continuous heavy bead - all around ) Each frame was actually a "tap" fit in the window hole, so they are solidly installed. I made removable "windows" out of 3/16" acrylic. I put a strip of self adhesive flexible magnetic strip on the perimeter of the the acrylic to hold the acrylic window onto the steel frame. ( you can get the flexible magnetic strip at the big box stores, but the strength is rather low - I got a roll from Bunting Magnetics - online. Get the most powerful strip. The pull forces listed on their website can maybe be attained in a laboratory, in real life, the pull force is much lower). A couple of handles on the acrylic window helps to quickly pull it on and off, and a couple of small tabs welded to the bottom of the angle iron frame ensure that the acrylic window does not slowly migrate downward.
In an unfinished basement, they actually look pretty good. They go up in the fall and come off in the spring. Hardest part for me was the welding the angle iron frames --- the miter joints have to be very flat so that I had a good seal with the magnetic strip.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

so why dont i just cut some 1/4" acrylic and glue a projection on the front for a handle - push into opening, take off in spring
pmatc is offline   Reply With Quote