Insulating Basement Windows - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Insulating basement windows

I live in an apartment that has two basement windows - the kind with window wells. One of them has a dryer vent in it. My basement is very cold because of the air getting in around the windows. Any ideas how to insulate them? I don't care if light is blocked as long as the cold air is. I need something cheap and easy. If I put something like an old pillow in the window with the dryer vent, is that a fire hazard? Thanks.

Advertisement

Keyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could look into using a thick fire-rated type insulation. I propose this, because it is thick and dense, and can be cut to a ''shape'', unlike normal batt insulation.
So if you have a cavity that the winow sits in, all you would have to do is cut a section to a ''tight-fit-size'' and insert it into the window area.

Link: http://www.roxul.com/sw34066.asp

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Ayuh,.......

The house I live in has cellar windows kinda like that,.....
I Stuffed them full of fiberglass Batts,+ it really Helped....

And as for the Fire Hazard from the Dryer Vent,.......
The Vent itself shouldn't really be any sort of Hazard per say, the expelled air isn't all that Hot.....
The Usual Issues are not cleaning the lint,+ dust that accumulates in them,.....
Then it's entirely possible for the Dryer to ignite the lint,+ dust causing a Fire.....
But,.....
It's Not the actual Vent that causes it.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

HD sells sheets of styrafoam with foil faced and paper backing and about 1/2" thick they come in 2'x 4' sheets.cut those the size of the window and tape them up.you might see thicker sheets that you can slide in from the outside against the glass.that cold is running along the ground and dropping into the window area especially is a pit on the outside.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote