DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Insulating basement windows

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
I live in an apartment that has two basement windows - the kind with window wells. One of them has a dryer vent in it. My basement is very cold because of the air getting in around the windows. Any ideas how to insulate them? I don't care if light is blocked as long as the cold air is. I need something cheap and easy. If I put something like an old pillow in the window with the dryer vent, is that a fire hazard? Thanks.

#3 ·
Ayuh,.......

The house I live in has cellar windows kinda like that,.....
I Stuffed them full of fiberglass Batts,+ it really Helped....

And as for the Fire Hazard from the Dryer Vent,.......
The Vent itself shouldn't really be any sort of Hazard per say, the expelled air isn't all that Hot.....
The Usual Issues are not cleaning the lint,+ dust that accumulates in them,.....
Then it's entirely possible for the Dryer to ignite the lint,+ dust causing a Fire.....
But,.....
It's Not the actual Vent that causes it.....

#4 ·
HD sells sheets of styrafoam with foil faced and paper backing and about 1/2" thick they come in 2'x 4' sheets.cut those the size of the window and tape them up.you might see thicker sheets that you can slide in from the outside against the glass.that cold is running along the ground and dropping into the window area especially is a pit on the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.