Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Insulating basement floor with ridged foam

Hi,
I would like to insulate my concrete basement floor. I plan on making a grid work of sleepers using composite decking. I am hoping that the composite decking might work better in the long run the pressure treated wood. In between the composite sleepers, I would install 1" rigid foam, than the OSB flooring. What are your opinions on this and do you think it's necessary to even insulate the floor this way?

diamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

I have never done this and have only seen the install on TV but this would be my approach when the time comes.

Layer of 1 1/2 or 2-inch thick extruded polystyrene foam placed against the concrete, with a layer of 5/8-inch plywood on top. The whole thing is secured with Tapcon screws torqued directly into pre-drilled holes in the concrete floor. Spray foam around the perimeter to close gaps where the foam meets the wall. No sleepers.

ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Always learning...

I agree with ferris on the method of installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamand View Post
What are your opinions on this and do you think it's necessary to even insulate the floor this way?
It's not necessary, but if you or your family are planning on spending much time in the basement then you will likely be more comfortable with the foam & plywood under your feet.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #4

I wouldn't do it because any water and there will be mold. “When composite materials first came out, mold was a major problem caused by the use of certain recycled materials in the "wood" that fostered mold and mildew growth. The industry has come a long way since then, working hard to eliminate mold problems in the material altogether. You may, however, still experience some deck mold, especially in wetter climates.” From: http://www.servicemagic.com/article....eck.11064.html
So any water could cause mold especially on a slab without a vapor barrier installed before the pour because of the ingredients of composite.
“Composite decking isn't bulletproof, however. The wood component can make these boards susceptible to mold, mildew, and under the right conditions, decay.” From: http://www.deckmagazine.com/article/80.html

Also from that article: “Lower proportions of wood flour mean most of the particles will be encapsulated by plastic and safe from water. When the percentage of wood flour reaches 50 percent to 60 percent, some particles inevitably will touch each other, making water absorption more likely.

Some manufacturers might not disclose the ratio of wood flour to plastic in their decking; in those cases, the best bet may be Stark's eyeball test. A large number of prominent wood particles on the surface doesn't mean the decking should be avoided, but it is an indication that the planks will be more likely to absorb water. “
So it matters how much wood flour is used and the pressure used to produce it.

The best way, figure 2 and 3: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #5

So are you saying not to use the sleepers and just the foam under the plywood? Wouldn't this risk the possibility of smashing the foam board and causing the floor to be uneven? I am just curious I am thinking about this exact setup in my addition that is on a slab.
gwaligorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Look carefully at the pictures sited below:

The best way, figure 2 and 3: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #7

Okay what product would qualify for the sheet polyethylene? Since it appears that can't name them on that website.
gwaligorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #8

What kind of foam is recommened for the floor?
What if there is a chance of seapage?
I was thinking of using Dricore or the OVRX tiles but I would rather use full sheets

Thank you
Brian
brota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #9

Closed cell foam board. I'm still research this product but it does provide equalizing the moisture as BSC said and acts as a thermal break; http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php
Looks very much like Dricore.....

Gary