Insulating Basement Ceiling? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating basement ceiling?

In our house there is a capped garage underneath the 4 seasons room. The ceiling in this capped garage is just exposed floor joists. In the winter a lot of cold air comes up through the floor into the 4 seasons room and makes it very cold. Would Insulating the ceiling of the capped garage solve the problem? What kind of insulation products should I look into? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

pastfast125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastfast125 View Post
In our house there is a capped garage underneath the 4 seasons room. The ceiling in this capped garage is just exposed floor joists. In the winter a lot of cold air comes up through the floor into the 4 seasons room and makes it very cold. Would Insulating the ceiling of the capped garage solve the problem? What kind of insulation products should I look into? Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Yes....insulating would make a huge difference.

Use Fiberglass 'Batt' insulation...min. R-19 to R30

This would definitely be a good DIY project..

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-29-2007 at 09:48 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Yes, and I would also check to see if there are any openings for potential air leaks (ie. piping or wiring through holes), and for those, I would use spray foam insulation to seal before installing insulation.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote