Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating above block wall that is above sheetrock

I am ripping out the walls and mouse poop and pee soaked insulation that is in my basement. I had a serious mouse problem and am looking to make it harder for them to get established. So far I've:

-Sealed all the ways in for them from the outside with steel wool and concrete. There were two big holes.
-Sprayed some bleach water in the space above the block wall to help with the smell.

I plan on reframing the basement and dry walling it but I don't want the mice to have free reign over the space above the block wall (see photos). Will spray-in insulation keep them from chewing all the way around once they eventually get in again? I know I'll have to try to keep them out better than before.

I plan on coating every surface with polyurethane to seal in the odors. Is this a good idea? I can't replace the wood or else I would.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating above block wall that is above sheetrock-wall1.jpg   Insulating above block wall that is above sheetrock-wall2.jpg   Insulating above block wall that is above sheetrock-wall3.jpg  

klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Not sure if icynene-type foam insulation will slow mice down or not. I kinda doubt it, but it won't be as welcoming as cellulose or fiberglass.

I wouldn't use polyurethane with the intent of sealing in the odors. I'd think a stainblocking sealer like oil-based Kilz might be more effective. There is a product that they spray on smoke damaged framing to help mitigate the smoke smell in a house...But for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. Maybe something like that would help. I'd suggest going to a paint store (not a box store) and ask someone that knows their products.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #3

I will use Kilz as you suggested. I'd like to be able to spray it on though.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #4

What if I were to pack a lot of steel wool into the cavity and then use some canned Great Stuff to foam it up, and trimming off the excess later? Is there any serious drawbacks from doing this? I know it would be about 50 bags of steel wool and about 10 cans of foam but it would be worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #5

You need to check with a paint expert or two before using the Kilz. That was an idea, but I have no idea if it will work on mouse pee.

The steel wool sounds like a good idea, but I do think that the mice won't have any trouble getting past foam. Foam would actually probably make nice bedding for them when chewed up.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #6

So, what did you do and did it work? I am doing the same ... mouse problemo under control and wasn't terrible to begin with. My plan is to use the blue styrofoam insulation and cut to fit into the space, then spray Great Stuff around. More for warmth.
DIYerMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #7

I ended up just sealing up any and all tiny holes to the outside with steel wool and concrete, there were a few. Then I sprayed it with foam (the kind that comes in a tank). I figured that any attempt to stop them with foam was futile so I just made sure to mouse-proof the best I could and foamed for insulation purposes. Now it's insulated and sheet rocked and too late to do anything different now!