Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Insulate Basement walls??

I live in the Chicago Area, I am finishing my basement and the house is 2 1/2 yrs old. The basement is only a few degrees colder during the winter months and is cool in the summer.

The contractor said I did not need to insulate the walls because it was warm and I have no moisture. His partner suggested if I insisted on insulating I only do the top half of the outside walls.

I will also be putting in a ventless fireplace. I will be insulating part of the ceiling, but only because of the noise factor. Any suggestions??

kimsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Insulate Basement walls??

The basement temperature is not that cold because the soil moderates the conditions on the outside of the wall. The basement temperature has no direct effect caused by the daily air temps outdoors. You can insulate the walls if you choose. Remember there is no magical line on the wall at the theoretical frost depth because of the three dimensional flow of heat. Look at the area of the cold floor in comparison to the wall temperatures.

Regarding the "ventless" fireplace, that couls be very dangerous and ubhealthy. If it is a direct vent sealed gas fireplace with both a fresh air intake and a vent through a chimney, they have been shown to be safe.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote