Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

installing tongue & groove plank paneling

Hi,

I recently bought my first house and am slowing learning how to do some DIY. My next project is to install wood paneling on one of the walls in our bedroom. Attached is a picture of about what I have in mind. I am trying to figure out what is best to use for this. I don't want to use sheets of beadboard b/c we want a wider plank. Would 6" tongue & groove cedar siding be my best option?

It seems like this is a popular look right now, but for some reason, I can't find many resources that explain what to get and how to install it. I am assuming if I buy some cedar siding, cut it to fit, and nail it to the studs, it should be fairly straightforward. The other thing I was considering was leaving a 1/4" space on all four sides of the wall to allow for contraction/swelling. Not sure if that is necessary and I'm not sure how I could get that first board on the bottom installed 1/4" off the ground. I guess I could just lay a scrap piece of wood that is 1/4" while I nail that first board down.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Big_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

installing tongue & groove plank paneling

If you are going to paint it, cedar seems overkill. Also flooring is going to be much thicker than you need.

The new library in Champaign, IL used bamboo on the walls and it really is gorgeous. It was an interior product somewhat like in this URL but lighter. You might get a green credit if you use bamboo. Cork (not tacky cork bulletin board type stuff) would be another possibility. You can get bamboo and cork in wonderful colors.

http://www.moso-bamboo.com/bamboo-wall-covering

I would search more for interior paneling products before committing to T&G flooring. Not to say you cannot make it work.

Remember, you are going to have to extend all your electrical boxes which is no big deal but will cost you a little bit.

And take note of your own phrase, "It seems like this is a popular look right now,.." Paneling, especially dimensional like with plank t&g like you have in mind, seems to come in and out of fashion on a regular basis. There are many posts on this site asking how to fill in the grooves and paint or otherwise hide it.

As or leaving 1/4"? I think that will look goofy unless you trim it out. A paneling system should account for expansion and contraction and bamboo and cork are naturally great when it comes to such things.

Last edited by user1007; 04-16-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote