Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Segal deadbolt lock

I am trying to install a Segal jimmy-proof deadbolt lock, per the instructions here: http://www.segallock.com/installation.shtml. The individual parts all seem to work just fine, but once I actually mount the lock on the door, I am unable to lock it with the key. Does anyone have any experience with these locks?

Specifically: The cylinder turns just fine with the key. Off the door, I can lock and unlock the deadbolt just fine using a screwdriver.

On the door, I can lock and unlock the deadbolt using the knob. I can unlock the deadbolt by turning the key counterclockwise. When I turn the key clockwise, however, it stops before the bolts are fully engaged, so I can't lock the lock.

As far as I know, I have followed the installation instructions to the letter, including cutting the cylinder tailpiece to the correct length: The door is 1-11/16" thick. Per the chart in the instructions, this falls between break points A and B. I have tried A, B, and manually cutting the tailpiece halfway in between. None of these works.

Any ideas?

traghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #2

The bar that goes through the door which connects the key section on the outside of the door to the lock on the inside. You have it turned the wrong way. There is some free play clockwise-counterclockwise in the bar. Pull it out and turn the bar the other way then put it back in.

Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The timing is off. take the key out of the lock cylinder. Remove the lock case. Take a screwdriver and turn the slotted hub in the back all the way to the left until it stops. Then mount the lock back on the door. The key should now be able to turn a full 360.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote