Installing Pool System New V. Used? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Smile

Installing Pool System New v. Used?

Has anyone ever heard of installing a pre-owned pool pump system?

I've just started a thread on a pool cleanup I'm encountering, and I know I need a new pool system so maybe now is the time to do this as well. Pool Cleanup Job -- What to Do?

The system that is currently in the pool now is ancient, and I know my pool is due for a new system, or perhaps a pre-owned system --- is that even possible or available?

So what about installing a pre-owned? We buy pre-owned cars? Why not pre-owned pool systems?

I know many homeowners are converting their systems to saltwater, so aren't there some relatively newer systems out there that are still in good usable condition that might be a fraction of the cost of a new system? Or what about converting a chlorine system to salt and perhaps buying a pre-owned salt system, is that even doable or possible?

Any suggestions? I just hate the thought of forking out big bucks for a brand new pool system for an old pool. I just don't have the extra bucks to put out right now yet I know the pool really needs attention.

I'm very curious to hear what you guys think... I'm so tired of hearing from the pool guys all the time about the pump -- I know my father got an earful for many years but he never caved and he managed well... maybe I should just get a new pump? Is that all I really need? What's really the heart and soul of the system? The filters are working fine so I'm told.

Advertisement

flowerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

filtration, water chemistry and sanitizer are all important. Take one of them out of the picture and you will have problems. If the filter is working, good suction and pressure, then a new filter/pump won't change anything. I suspect, given the time it was let go, the sanitizer (chlorine) is low or non-existent. Get a water sample to a reputable pool supply place and have them test it to see what you need to do. In your other post you mentioned draining the pool and acid washing. Not being able to see the pool I can't advise to do or not to do that. If the water is green with a light growth on the walls then the chlorine/baquacil (depending on what your pool has in it) should clear it up. If there is heavy growth then maybe a drain and clean is in order. Is this a plaster pool, tile or vinyl liner as each has it's own methods that someone who knows what they are doing shoul perform. As to salt systems...they simply replace chlorine and a properly set up system is relativly maint free. The salt ayatem basicaly breaks the salt down to its two chemical elements and releases them into the water. Those elements are sodium(na)and chlorine(cl)
Here is a good link on salt water pools, the differnt types of systems and how they work. http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
filtration, water chemistry and sanitizer are all important. Take one of them out of the picture and you will have problems. If the filter is working, good suction and pressure, then a new filter/pump won't change anything. I suspect, given the time it was let go, the sanitizer (chlorine) is low or non-existent. Get a water sample to a reputable pool supply place and have them test it to see what you need to do. In your other post you mentioned draining the pool and acid washing. Not being able to see the pool I can't advise to do or not to do that. If the water is green with a light growth on the walls then the chlorine/baquacil (depending on what your pool has in it) should clear it up. If there is heavy growth then maybe a drain and clean is in order. Is this a plaster pool, tile or vinyl liner as each has it's own methods that someone who knows what they are doing shoul perform. As to salt systems...they simply replace chlorine and a properly set up system is relativly maint free. The salt ayatem basicaly breaks the salt down to its two chemical elements and releases them into the water. Those elements are sodium(na)and chlorine(cl)
Here is a good link on salt water pools, the differnt types of systems and how they work. http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm
so what does this have to do with his question?

OP,

A used sand filter is probably fine, as long as not cracked....you will need to add new sand anyway....BUT the valves at the top of the sand filter (the handle you turn to put it on "filter, backwash, etc" only last about 4-5 years before the gasket is bad).

you dont want a used pump, chances are the seals are bad, or close to bad.

parts are so cheap on ebay or any variety of online pool stores I would just buy a new pump and replace the sand in your sand filter and the valve top (or buy a new one, difference isnt big).

As far as salt, it will cost about 500-1000 to convert to salt yourself (if you are capable), depending on the pool size and electrical work needed....the salt generator is simply plumbed in line to the return water back to the pool, after the sand filter.....again, you probably dont want used here. Once you convert to salt, pools become very low maintenance and it will pay for itself within about 2 years on costs saved from not having to buy chlorine (you still need balancer and acid, but those are dirt cheap).
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

I met with a pool guy tonight who shall clean rhe pool with chlorine (no acid or pressure wash just yet is needed) and it seems that all we may need to do is buy a buy a pump at some point, but that is still questionable. Now that I know this I'm sure I can probably order a new pump on eBay when needed but now I need to know what kind to buy.

I've learned I've got about 45,000 gallon pool. For years I've heard the song and dance of needed pool repairs from overzealous pool guys just itching to sell me something I suspected I really never needed... Now it's time to get smart about these things and find out what's really going on and become empowered.

I absolutely love these forums because information is knowledge and that's so powerful, especially in this economy when times are tough and we really need cash for important things like groceries, health care, housing.

Thanks for all your excellent information and advice.

Best wishes,

FlowerChick
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrack_corn View Post
so what does this have to do with his question?
Well I thought I was helping with some of her questions.

What's really the heart and soul of the system? filtration, water chemistry and sanitizer are all important. Take one of them out of the picture and you will have problems.

maybe I should just get a new pump? Is that all I really need? If the filter is working, good suction and pressure, then a new filter/pump won't change anything.

Or what about converting a chlorine system to salt and perhaps buying a pre-owned salt system, is that even doable or possible?

Obviously my answers must not have been correct in which case you won't get any more wrong answers from me.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
flowerchick (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

Update: Well, my Swampland USA West pool, is quickly changing now that chlorine and muric acid is taking over and I can now see the bottom of the pool... I suppose the Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) won't be rearing its ugly head out of my pool after all, though I was beginning to wonder there for a while. However, I have a new monster to deal with...

We did discover that while we got the pool equipment running there appears to be a leak in the skimmer -- so, now, here's a new wrinkle and a potential fix-it job that's up for some interesting bids I'm sure. I once had a pool that had a leak and the costs to fix a leak where all over the place. I lived in the desert of So. Cal where at least every other home had a pool and pool companies where like pharmacies, one on every corner.

Has anyone had any experience in resolving a leak in the skimmer? From what my new pool guy friend is alterting me to, I'm being told they're likely shall need to break out the concrete to replace PVC, etc...

Once we got the filtration and pump system working my water line dropped about a foot below the tile overnight, what a surprise to me when I came out to see what the pool was going to look like after some chlorine was added, not what I was expecting. Wow, does chlorine make water disappear? NOT what I was expecting....

Any suggestions in now dealing with a leak in the skimmer?

FlowerChick

Advertisement

Tags
chlorine , pool , pre-owned , pump , saltwater