Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

installing more phone jacks

Hi:
i am getting my phone hooked up in my house. the phone jack locations are in some wierd places. i want to move them to more convenient places. how hard is it to put in new jacks and and rune more phone lines? can anyone help? thanks

JAVAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

Running phone lines is pretty easy. If you want to minimize the visual, it gets a little more work. You can leave the current phone jacks there and use them as junction boxes and connect the new wire to it and run it where you want in the room. Or you can get one of the wireless phone packages with one base station and multiple satellite phones that just plug into an electric outlet. No phone jack needed.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Or you can get one of the wireless phone packages with one base station and multiple satellite phones that just plug into an electric outlet. No phone jack needed.
Ron
That's what I'd do (oh wait, I DID do) unless you actually need the physical cable for something like a modem/fax.

I bought a Uniden unit with a digital answering machine and 3 or 4 "slave" phones that only need AC power for their docking station which just charges the battery.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Eibwen

Cordless is the way to go!

I picked up a GE with a master and charger and two phones for less than 80 bucks. Garage never had a phone jack in it and using the cordless set up is a lot easier plus gives you the mobility when you are on the phone.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
remodeling pro

The cordless systems really minimize the need for plentiful jacks, especially if they have to be fished through existing walls, but when we have walls open for renovatin or a new addition, owners are still comforted by seeing plentiful jacks.

I highly discourage splicing from jack to jack because it is too difficult to trace a problem. Every jack, or at least every room if it has multiple jacks, is a home run to the phone company interface panel or a structured wiring panel somewhere in the house. Tv coax even more so. Todays high def tv's will not tolerate a signal that has been "split" 4 or five times.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #6

If you want to hardwire new surface mount telephone extension jacks on the surface, it's very very simple. You can use four conductor wire - available at ACE, HD, Lowes, etc. - off of a spool and they carry the wall jacks as well. Do not use CAT3 or CAT5 data wire for household telephone use. It's ordinary simple telephone wire. There are four colors - black, red, green and yellow. Just be consistent and replicate the colors onto the corresponding connection in the new jack. Staple the wire into place on the baseboard and you're done. If you're looking to route the new wires in the wall and install flush wall jacks, then it's more labor intensive but the wiring is the same.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #7

If going cordless, be sure to get a 5.8GHz system. Then, if you decide to install a WiFi network, you won't get interference.

scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote