Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |

Installing garbage disposal

Hello
I am installing a garbage disposal for the wife and have a few questions.
I haven't purchased one yet looking at the insinkerator brand. I get the plumbing and installation parts but what I'm having trouble with is the electrical part.
There is no disposer there currently but there is an electrical outlet under the sink.
Would it be easier to buy a disposer with the magnetic switch and just plug it in or install a wall switch and how would I wire the switch.
Thanks I think the obvious is the way to go but would like input.

Rmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #2

re-wire the under sink outlet so that a switch (wherever you choose to put it) will interrupt the flow of power.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Rmudder,

Is the outlet under the sink in an area right inside the cabinet door where it won't be a pain to get to. I've seen switches mounted right inside sink base cabinets for disposals, rather than fishing wire through walls. If it is, you can turn that outlet into a switch. If it's not in a desirable spot, you can turn that electrical box into a junction box and run a wire to the front of the cabinet in an area where you can place your switch or up the wall. A little help with the wiring though...

To wire it up by turning the current outlet into a switch.
1. SHUT OFF POWER
2. Pull out outlet
3. The wire going to the BRASS screw (most likely black, but who knows) is your positive, the wire going to the silver screw (most likely white) is your neutral. If you see a bare copper wire, that is your ground.
4. Take that black wire and connect it to 1 side of a light switch
5. Get yourself enough romex to run from the switch box to the disposal.
6. From the NEW romex, connect the black wire to the other side of the switch.
7. Twist the old neutral wire (white) and new neutral wire (white) from the romex together and put a wire nut on it and tape it. Do the same for the 2 ground wires (bare copper) Be sure all of this is done in the box.
8. Wrap electrical tape around the switch covering the two positive wire attachments to switch and push it back into the switch box and secure
9. Connect the other end of the new romex to the wiring on your garbage disposal. black to black, white to white, ground to ground (ground might be green on disposal)
10. Turn on your power and celebrate!
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

The outlet is in the back of the sink cabinet. Not an easily accessible spot. I appreciate your help. Could you tell me how to turn it into a junction box so I can install a switch in a remote location.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #5

Rmudder,
Is the outlet box currently in a wall, or is it mounted inside the cabinet somewhere?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #6

In a wall in the back of the sink cabinet. I can post a pic when I get home.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #7

Ok, I don't know if the outlet box is a single gang or double gang box, but either way same concept. You want to get a cover plate for the box that has a 1/2" knockout through the center of it. You also need a 1/2" knockout clamp.

SHUT OFF POWER

Thread the clamp through the 1/2" knockout hole on the cover plate. Run 12/2 Romex through the knockout clamp and hole about 5 inches and secure the clamp so that you cannot pull the Romex through the clamp. Strip the Romex and also about 1/2" from both the black and white wire. Using a wirenut (red one), connect the black wire from the Romex to the positive wire that was connected to the outlet (connected to brass screw, most likely black). Use electric tape to tape over the wirenut. Do the same with the white wire and the existing neutral wire that was connected to the outlet (connected to silver screw, probably white). Twist together the ground wires.

Get yourself a single gang metal electrical box with 1/2" knockouts and mount it under the sink where you want your switch to be. Knockout one of the 1/2" knockouts and screw a knockout clamp into the hole you created. Run the Romex that you just connected to the existing box to this box and clamp it in place leaving yourself about 6" coming through the new switch box.

Knock out another 1/2" knockout and clamp a wire from the new box to the garbage disposal. Leave 6" sticking out of new box. Tighten all 1/2" clamps. So now you have 2 wires sticking out of your new switch box. 1st wire up the disposal because it's easy... Black to black, white to white, bare copper to bare copper (or green)

Time to wire the switch...
1) strip Romex coming through new box.
2) Twist both bare copper wires together
3) strip about 1/2" off of each white wire, wirenut these two whites together and tape them.
4) Take the black wire coming from the junction box (old outlet) and connect it to the bottom screw of a switch
5) Take the black wire going to the disposal and connect it to the top screw of the switch
6) wrap switch with electrical tape to cover the positive terminals
7) push all wires into box, screw switch in and put a plate over it
8) turn on power and celebrate!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #8

rmudder,

I forgot to precursor my post with the information that I am not an electrician in any way. The way I told you to do this will definitely work and to my knowledge is to code and will be safe, but I can't give you any guarantees.

Also, a few pics to help you know what I'm talking about.
1) 12/2 Romex
2) 1/2" Knockout clamp
3) J-box cover. You can find something similar. Box must be closed with wire clamped in place coming out of front of it.
4) Single gang box with 1/2" KO's (knockouts)
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

Another way you could do it if you are hellbent on having the switch in the wall above the counter is wire the existing outlet to a switch and wiring a plug to the garbage disposal and plugging it in under the sink.

1) will require fishing wire up through the wall and adding switch box in wall
2) will require you to have GFI outlet under sink (you actually should have one in there now)

Let me know if you'd rather go this route and I'll try to help you out.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #10

Thanks for the help. I'll talk to the wife and see what she wants. I would like to go the easy route and get one with a magnetic switch and just wire a plug to the disposer and plug it in but... Gotta keep the wife happy. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden
Rmudder,

Is the outlet under the sink in an area right inside the cabinet door where it won't be a pain to get to. I've seen switches mounted right inside sink base cabinets for disposals, rather than fishing wire through walls. If it is, you can turn that outlet into a switch. If it's not in a desirable spot, you can turn that electrical box into a junction box and run a wire to the front of the cabinet in an area where you can place your switch or up the wall. A little help with the wiring though...

To wire it up by turning the current outlet into a switch.
1. SHUT OFF POWER
2. Pull out outlet
3. The wire going to the BRASS screw (most likely black, but who knows) is your positive, the wire going to the silver screw (most likely white) is your neutral. If you see a bare copper wire, that is your ground.
4. Take that black wire and connect it to 1 side of a light switch
5. Get yourself enough romex to run from the switch box to the disposal.
6. From the NEW romex, connect the black wire to the other side of the switch.
7. Twist the old neutral wire (white) and new neutral wire (white) from the romex together and put a wire nut on it and tape it. Do the same for the 2 ground wires (bare copper) Be sure all of this is done in the box.
8. Wrap electrical tape around the switch covering the two positive wire attachments to switch and push it back into the switch box and secure
9. Connect the other end of the new romex to the wiring on your garbage disposal. black to black, white to white, ground to ground (ground might be green on disposal)
10. Turn on your power and celebrate!
Let me ask u, new house and switch is already near sink and the is an electrical box under sink with blk and white wire inside. I already installed the garbage disposal but it did not come with a power cord. I'm assuming that all I have to do is install the blk and white wires that are coming out of disposal to wire coming from electrical box under sink, the only problem is wires are not long enough. I'm I right on hooking up the power?
Alexdamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdamay View Post
Let me ask u, new house and switch is already near sink and the is an electrical box under sink with blk and white wire inside. I already installed the garbage disposal but it did not come with a power cord. I'm assuming that all I have to do is install the blk and white wires that are coming out of disposal to wire coming from electrical box under sink, the only problem is wires are not long enough. I'm I right on hooking up the power?
I recently replaced a disposal for my mother in-law. I had to purchase the power cord separately, which you wire to the disposal. It also sounds like you need to install an outlet in the electrical box that is under the sink. I am not a professional, but I would use a GFCI outlet.

David
Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #13

Yeah, I'm that handy when it comes to electrical but don't know what to do bcs there is already a switch on top of sink and a covered chrome electrical box under sink. When I removed the cover there was two wires inside which I think is the wires coming from the switch on top. So I'm guessing that if I connect the wires under the disposal to the ones inside the box it will work when I flip the switch and I won't need to buy a power cord to especially bcs I don't want to install an outlet under sink.
Alexdamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #14

@Branden, Thanks for the great instructions, I am putting them in Word to get a printout of them, hopes its ok

AleenaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote