Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Garage Door Opener... Replace or Reuse Hardware?

I am replacing a Chamberlain chain drive garage door opener from 1989 with a new chain drive that has been made in the past year or two. After opening the box to start working, I realized that Chamberlain is making their chain drive hardware differently. Now the extension kit from the old opener will not work with the new opener. (We have a taller than normal door.)

Has anyone re-used the hardware from their old garage door opener? What I am thinking of doing, is just replacing the chain and motor. Would this be a very bad idea?

flipjarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #2

Wouldn't the use of the extension kit require a longer chain(as in the original chain). And since the chain drive hardware is different, would it even work?
Sometimes it's just better to get the parts you need and do it correctly.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #3

While I was waiting for someone to post, I took a closer look at the old hardware and motor and decided to take it all down. I don't think it will be very hard to install the new hardware. It's best not to be lazy/just buy the newer extension kit.

Maybe I will be able to sell the old hardware at our garage sale for a few bucks. It's all in great shape. Even the motor works awesome on our old opener. The problem was with the plastic gears inside the opener.
flipjarg is offline   Reply With Quote