Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing a Fence

Question: So it's possible for me to put a fence on MY side without removing the old fence? My backyard is a chain fence all around (3 sides) and I want 6' wooden fence all around.

AmericaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:43 AM   #2

Installing a Fence

Is the chain link yours property or your neighbors??? If yours, yes you can put up another fence inside, but why would you leave both in place??? If the other fence is your neighbors, get your property surveyed, so you are sure where to put the new fence.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #3

Installing a Fence

Oh. I don't know which fence is whos. But if a fence is mine, I can remove it and put a different fence up?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Installing a Fence

That is a pretty big IF. You should find out who is responsible for the matainance.

If you put up a new fence between a common fence and a new fence on your property, could still be responsible for liability and maintenance plus the junk between the fences. You never know who the next neighbor will be.

If it is a common fence, the neighbor might be willing to pay for part of a new fence to replace the old.

You just have to know who is responsible for the existing fence that may have been part of what you bought.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

Installing a Fence

Thanks! That helps. Even though, I'm willing to pay for the whole fence myself.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Installing a Fence

From experiences working with fence companies in three different States (I realize you are in Canada): Different States have different laws covering the placement of fences in regards to property lines. Locally, the county I live in requires two inches of spacing between the actual property line and a fence. This can be a problem if two adjacent homeowners want to put up their own fences, a four inch vacant space someone has to maintain. One of my neighbors had a legal dispute when they bought their home because the fence was listed as "theirs" was actually 18" on the older homeowners side of the property line. An equitable agreement was reached, legally recorded, and all are happy in that case. It does sound as if you need to assure who actually owns the existing fence, maybe have a property survey done to distinguish property lines and go from there. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote