Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Installing Faux Stone on Interior wall

I have a question concerning the surface preparation needed to install faux stones on an interior wall.

Most things I've read indicate that prior to installing the faux stones you need to attach a metal lathe and then a scratch coat. I was wondering if I had (or installed first) a concrete board (something like Wonderboard), do I need to do the metal lathe? Is one way better than another? If I'm looking at wood studs, what are the recommendations?

nebulour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

Over studs, 1/2 hardie-board thoroughly screwed is fine, although it will not meet manufacturers warranty.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Tileguy

Faux stone can be installed over any cement board and you can even use thinset if you want to apply the stone directly to the board. The bonding properties of thinset are usually much greater than the regular mortar but again...this should be done according to the stone producers specifications which is usually to use the lath method.

If you use the metal lath method you should know that there is a right way and a wrong way to install the lath. The lath (expanded metal) is in this case directional. If you look closely you will notice the lath contains a "cup" (if you will). The "cup" should be placed in an upward manner so as to prevent the mortar from sagging. If you were to run your fingers across the expansions you will see that the surface feels coarse in one direction and smoother in the opposite direction. The coarse feeling is the "cup" and should be installed in an upward fashion.

The base coat of mortar is then applied by pressing it into the lath (mesh). The mortar should then be "combed" to create a rough surface for the second application of mortar to bond (lock) into.

The mesh requires fasteners to be installed in a fashion that doesn't allow the mesh to be springy. Once the base coat has dried the surface will become rigid.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 10-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #4

Let me just add on the Manufacturer's warranty, they only warranty the actual stone itself. That is, it is guaranteed not to self-destruct into dust on the wall for 50 years. They do not warranty the installation, period.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Faux stone can be installed over any cement board and you can even use thinset if you want to apply the stone directly to the board. The bonding properties of thinset are usually much greater than the regular mortar but again...this should be done according to the stone producers specifications which is usually to use the lath method.

If you use the metal lath method you should know that there is a right way and a wrong way to install the lath. The lath (expanded metal) is in this case directional. If you look closely you will notice the lath contains a "cup" (if you will). The "cup" should be placed in an upward manner so as to prevent the mortar from sagging. If you were to run your fingers across the expansions you will see that the surface feels coarse in one direction and smoother in the opposite direction. The coarse feeling is the "cup" and should be installed in an upward fashion.

The base coat of mortar is then applied by pressing it into the lath (mesh). The mortar should then be "combed" to create a rough surface for the second application of mortar to bond (lock) into.

The mesh requires fasteners to be installed in a fashion that doesn't allow the mesh to be springy. Once the base coat has dried the surface will become rigid.
I read this post twice Bud, trying to find just one mistake, and couldn't. I should have known right away when Tscar didn't comment on it.

Nice post.

Personally, I prefer lath over backerboard in just about every application, with the two most common variances being thin brick and tiny stone jobs that I don't want to spend a second day on. For a DIY'er, I think you'll find it easier to hang cultured stone on combed lath.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Tileguy

I prefer cement board and thinset but that's just me because I'm a tileguy. The lath method isn't that difficult and shouldn't scare away anyone. It isn't as tough as it may sound if you can get a few helpful pointers from someone that has done a few.

In years past I always used the lath method but I think it is a bigger pain these days for me.

When using the lath method a guy wants to be sure to use the mortar recommended by the faux stone supplier.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote