Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Share |

installing a dishwasher

Were remodeling our kitchen, along with this comes a granite counter top. How do I afix the dishwasher in it's place? With our old fake wood counter top we had screws holding it (the dishwasher) in place.

As always thanks in advance!

08087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #2

installing a dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
Were remodeling our kitchen, along with this comes a granite counter top. How do I afix the dishwasher in it's place? With our old fake wood counter top we had screws holding it (the dishwasher) in place.
As always thanks in advance!
The dishwasher gets attached to the faceframes of the cabinets on each side. Newer units have moveable clips.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
08087 (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

installing a dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The dishwasher gets attached to the faceframes of the cabinets on each side. Newer units have moveable clips.
Ron
Makes perfact sense now that I know.
08087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

installing a dishwasher

I often glue a strip of wood to the underside of the granite countertop. You can easily put the usual two top screws up into that if the screws aren't too long that they will go through the wood and possibly damage the granite.

I know a lot of guys actually screw right into the granite. I would never have the nerve to attempt that, myself.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
remodeling pro

installing a dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I often glue a strip of wood to the underside of the granite countertop. You can easily put the usual two top screws up into that if the screws aren't too long that they will go through the wood and possibly damage the granite.

I know a lot of guys actually screw right into the granite. I would never have the nerve to attempt that, myself.
Like wise. I silicone a strip so that the front side butts against the back edge of the face frame, then glue a piece of cabinet filler on to flush it out with the cabinets and match the finish.

Some brands have removable caps in the side frame that lets you put a hidden screw into the cabinet face frame. This makes for a nice mount, but often does not result in the face of the dishwasher door being exactly flush with the cabinet doors, which has become a real issue with most homeowners and decorators now; we all know the drill, whatever people start seeing in magazines becomes the absolute must be practice.

I never drill into the granite, even though is is tempting because it yields a simple clean mount, but all it takes is hitting one crazy vein or stress fracture in the stone; and disaster.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-04-2011 at 06:24 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

installing a dishwasher

Top or sides, depends on what materials there are to attach to.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

installing a dishwasher

[quote

Some brands have removable caps in the side frame that lets you put a hidden screw into the cabinet face frame. This makes for a nice mount, but often does not result in the face of the dishwasher door being exactly flush with the cabinet doors, quote]

I have been installing a lot of bosch dw's and they have the removable caps that don't line up with the faceframes. I usually take a piece of 3/4" furniture grade plywood and cut a couple of blocks and glue and screw them behind the faceframe so I have a good area to fasten the screws into. I don't know who designs these things and doesn't bother to ever try one to see if their design works.
Some of the other dw's come with a plastic molding strip that fastens on each side and the top of the machine. Then small screws provided go right through the strips on the sides into the faceframes.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote